• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest purpletoddy

Mi16 R1 Carb Conversion Jet Size Info

Guest purpletoddy

hello all....

Im in the middle of rebuilding my mi16 engine to go into my beloved 205gti.

I bought a set of r1 carbs a while back and have just finished stipping them down cleaning them up and drilling out the jets to suit the 1.9mi16.

I read elsewhere on this forum to run a 1.9gti engine to use webber dgas main jet as they are the same thread....and to use a 175 main jet.

This week i think its total vauxhall have just done an interesting article with Bogg Bros well known to us all. They detail how to strip the carbs and assemble correctly and to drill out the main jets to 1.8mm (180 size) to run a c20xe (red top) ....so all ive done is the above ....drilled out my main jets to 180 size and minted my carbs (which were very mucky!!!!!) using carb cleaner...and an old metal dog bowl to clean intricate parts!!! and an airline to blow through all the passages.

This has saved me £80..(what bogg bros charge) and was an enjoyable little task!!!.

All in the carbs have cost me £50 .....and the inlet manifold is under construction.

Just a little bit of info in case anyone else is doing the same and wants to save a bit of cash!!!!

p.s forums are a mound of usefull information and thanks to all who have helped with many of my encountered problems with their valuble experience.

jonand
hello all....

Im in the middle of rebuilding my mi16 engine to go into my beloved 205gti.

I bought a set of r1 carbs a while back and have just finished stipping them down cleaning them up and drilling out the jets to suit the 1.9mi16.

I read elsewhere on this forum to run a 1.9gti engine to use webber dgas main jet as they are the same thread....and to use a 175 main jet.

This week i think its total vauxhall have just done an interesting article with Bogg Bros well known to us all. They detail how to strip the carbs and assemble correctly and to drill out the main jets to 1.8mm (180 size) to run a c20xe (red top) ....so all ive done is the above ....drilled out my main jets to 180 size and minted my carbs (which were very mucky!!!!!) using carb cleaner...and an old metal dog bowl to clean intricate parts!!! and an airline to blow through all the passages.

This has saved me £80..(what bogg bros charge) and was an enjoyable little task!!!.

All in the carbs have cost me £50 .....and the inlet manifold is under construction.

Just a little bit of info in case anyone else is doing the same and wants to save a bit of cash!!!!

p.s forums are a mound of usefull information and thanks to all who have helped with many of my encountered problems with their valuble experience.

Thanks for the info, I shall be doing a R1 / Mi set up over the winter so I would be interested to know how your set up performs when its finished. What ignition set up will you be using ?

Cheers

Jon

PS How much are Bogg Bros charging for the inlet manifold ?

Guest purpletoddy
Thanks for the info, I shall be doing a R1 / Mi set up over the winter so I would be interested to know how your set up performs when its finished. What ignition set up will you be using ?

Cheers

Jon

PS How much are Bogg Bros charging for the inlet manifold ?

Hello mate, my engine is still in the process of being built and the xmass spending is gettin in the way of my new rings that are needed!!!! Ive had the bottom end cleaned and the bores honed etc and ive got the crank and the mains in and the head is fully rebuilt with a new valve and guide as the old one had hit the head....i bought it as a runner!!! my bottom!!!

I will be using the dizzy adapter and modding the 1.9 gti loom using the guide on the main 205gtidrivers website.

As for the inlet manifold im making it myself as it wont be too hard to do....i hope!!!....ive made the base plate out of 10mm thick alloy plate.....my mate's old man does ally welding....and ive got access to a pipe bender so ill get it done over the winter.

Bogg Boros charge about £170 i think but dont quote me on that one......in total the whole cab conversion will have cost me the following:

R1 carbs £50 (ebay international buy delivered from the US)

Dizzy adaptor plus new dizzy and leads £70 (another flee bay good buy!)

Alloy plate £10

Alloy pipe £free (mate has a few meteres of suitable pipe kicking about)

Silicone hose to join carbs to inlet yet to buy!!!

Hope this is of some use to you mate

jonand
Hello mate, my engine is still in the process of being built and the xmass spending is gettin in the way of my new rings that are needed!!!! Ive had the bottom end cleaned and the bores honed etc and ive got the crank and the mains in and the head is fully rebuilt with a new valve and guide as the old one had hit the head....i bought it as a runner!!! my bottom!!!

I will be using the dizzy adapter and modding the 1.9 gti loom using the guide on the main 205gtidrivers website.

As for the inlet manifold im making it myself as it wont be too hard to do....i hope!!!....ive made the base plate out of 10mm thick alloy plate.....my mate's old man does ally welding....and ive got access to a pipe bender so ill get it done over the winter.

Bogg Boros charge about £170 i think but dont quote me on that one......in total the whole cab conversion will have cost me the following:

R1 carbs £50 (ebay international buy delivered from the US)

Dizzy adaptor plus new dizzy and leads £70 (another flee bay good buy!)

Alloy plate £10

Alloy pipe £free (mate has a few meteres of suitable pipe kicking about)

Silicone hose to join carbs to inlet yet to buy!!!

Hope this is of some use to you mate

Thanks M8

Got your PM and have replied - keep us posted on your progress

Cheers

Jon

matt205xs

I have just finished the mi/R1 conversion and is getting set up before xmas, I used weber dgac 175 jets which fit perfect, its running on the 1.9 dizzy and is starts idles and runs reasonably well without any setting up yet,

jonand
I have just finished the mi/R1 conversion and is getting set up before xmas, I used weber dgac 175 jets which fit perfect, its running on the 1.9 dizzy and is starts idles and runs reasonably well without any setting up yet,

Did you use the Bogg Bros manifold ? They seem to think that 180 jets are needed for the Mi - did you see the article in the current Total Vauxhall mag ?

Keep us posted.

Thanks

Jon

matt205xs

when i spoke they said start at 175 then if you need bigger then do it, i dont see the point in drilling them out if the 175 work fine,

i used the bogg bros manifold it cost me £175 +vat then £30 for the silicon hose and jubilee clips,

email me at medwar1@hotmail.com or add me to msn mesenger i have got some pics of the carbs and manifold on the car,

thanks

jonand
when i spoke they said start at 175 then if you need bigger then do it, i dont see the point in drilling them out if the 175 work fine,

i used the bogg bros manifold it cost me £175 +vat then £30 for the silicon hose and jubilee clips,

email me at medwar1@hotmail.com or add me to msn mesenger i have got some pics of the carbs and manifold on the car,

thanks

Thanks Matt sent you and email

Jon

Guest purpletoddy

hello lads howz tricks?

The way i got it from this forum is that the dgas 175 jets will run the 1.9 8v gti engine, i thought that if the c20xe red top uses 180 size main jets then the mi16 must use the same? Maybe my mistake????.....I have drilled out the jets that came with the carbs to 180...but i do have a set of dgas 175 jets sitting on my bench if i need them....cost about £8 total from ebay.

I would love to warrent paying all that money for an inlet manifold!!!!!! or to have the spare cash to do it!!!!! got too many other things on the go!!!! (bandit 600 project, r6 race bike, and the 205).

I hope to do the total conversion from injection to carbs for around £100 all in should be able to do it for less than that fingers crossed (yes i am steptoe!!!!).

Tonight I ripped out the injection loom by cutting the ecu wires, stripping back the loom and pulling them all out, then re-taped all the loom back together......i just wanted a tidy conversion and i dont plan on going back to injection as i love the sound of carbs!!!!!!!

Keep me posted on the carbs tho lads!!!!

Trick

sorry to hijack, but what is so good about bike carbs as opposed to things like weber 45s?

just curious as i notice a lot of people seem to be using them on 205s recently.

matt205xs
hello lads howz tricks?

The way i got it from this forum is that the dgas 175 jets will run the 1.9 8v gti engine, i thought that if the c20xe red top uses 180 size main jets then the mi16 must use the same? Maybe my mistake????.....I have drilled out the jets that came with the carbs to 180...but i do have a set of dgas 175 jets sitting on my bench if i need them....cost about £8 total from ebay.

I would love to warrent paying all that money for an inlet manifold!!!!!! or to have the spare cash to do it!!!!! got too many other things on the go!!!! (bandit 600 project, r6 race bike, and the 205).

I hope to do the total conversion from injection to carbs for around £100 all in should be able to do it for less than that fingers crossed (yes i am steptoe!!!!).

Tonight I ripped out the injection loom by cutting the ecu wires, stripping back the loom and pulling them all out, then re-taped all the loom back together......i just wanted a tidy conversion and i dont plan on going back to injection as i love the sound of carbs!!!!!!!

Keep me posted on the carbs tho lads!!!!

Bogg brothers manifold is top notch, just remember you have to get the right angle for the carbs to sit at, id rather pay someone to do a good job rather than me attempt it and not get it spot on,

My MI runs fine with the 175 jets, there doesnt seem to be any sort of starvation, and bear in mind im only running 1.5psi on the fuel reg too!

oh jonand i didnt get the email :)

Guest purpletoddy
sorry to hijack, but what is so good about bike carbs as opposed to things like weber 45s?

just curious as i notice a lot of people seem to be using them on 205s recently.

Hello mate, bike carbs are a bit easier to get hold of as there are plenty for sale on ebay etc!!!! they are cheaper than twin 45's etc (r1 carbs around £50-£100) and once you have them set up correctly they do not need touching for a long time unlike webbers seemingly (although i have no experience of this 1st hand)

Guest purpletoddy
Bogg brothers manifold is top notch, just remember you have to get the right angle for the carbs to sit at, id rather pay someone to do a good job rather than me attempt it and not get it spot on,

My MI runs fine with the 175 jets, there doesnt seem to be any sort of starvation, and bear in mind im only running 1.5psi on the fuel reg too!

oh jonand i didnt get the email :)

Hello again mate,

I agree the manifold does look ace and its a proven product. The carbs themselves can work at most angles as remember they came from a bike.....in the bike they are mounted tilted forwards at around a 45 degree angle. If you mean the angle to avoid the bonnet then ill overcome that with the bends in the pipe.

I know that there is a sience behind inlet manifold's and their flow characteristics etc but i will just have to do the best job i can and i cant see it hindering performance that much.....i have read the mini bible by David Vizard and he covers quite a bit on different manifolds and flow rates etc....quite an involving but interesting read!!!!!!

Ill go with the 180 mains to start with and see what it goes like on the rolling road (prob in 2 years time the way im going!!!)

Its interesting to hear how peoples mi's are running on the bike carbs i cant wait to get main going!!!! gives me a bit of a kick up the ar@e cheers

davev
Its interesting to hear how peoples mi's are running on the bike carbs i cant wait to get main going!!!! gives me a bit of a kick up the ar@e cheers

alright ive had my mi running bike carbs for about a year now(bogg brothers did the conversion). car seems quite happy, and pulls o.k

recently got it on the rollers and it only made a depressing 151bhp. though the tester said it was slightly lean, and the dizzy needs adjusting. plus ive got a couple minor things the are proberly sapping power.

dont let this put you off though as im sure that on a set up car they will make the power.

dave.

jonand
alright ive had my mi running bike carbs for about a year now(bogg brothers did the conversion). car seems quite happy, and pulls o.k

recently got it on the rollers and it only made a depressing 151bhp. though the tester said it was slightly lean, and the dizzy needs adjusting. plus ive got a couple minor things the are proberly sapping power.

dont let this put you off though as im sure that on a set up car they will make the power.

dave.

What carbs / jet sizes / air filter etc are you using ? Any thoughts about using a mapped ignition set up ?

Cheers

Jon

matt205xs

i would doubt very much the carbs alone would make a vast difference to a cars bhp,

Guest purpletoddy
i would doubt very much the carbs alone would make a vast difference to a cars bhp,

I agree matt but i think they may give a bit more low down torque and the great sound!!! only the rolling road will tell...

davev
What carbs / jet sizes / air filter etc are you using ? Any thoughts about using a mapped ignition set up ?

Cheers

Jon

all i know is that they are r1 carbs and i think its a ram air filter. bogg brothers did the whole thing including set up, so i dont know/didnt ask about the jet sizes.

i havent really thought about ignition set up much as its doing its job, but would like to run mi16 set up at a later date.

dave.

Sign in to follow this