• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MartinM

Mintex/1144/mdb1291

MartinM

OK, so what's wrong with this reasoning...

- I want some 1144 compound pads for my 1.6GTi Bendix calipers which are on solid disks (NOT vented)

- The Mintex part number is MDB1291

- Peter Lloyd Rallying have them at £47 per set

- a search of eBay (Titles and Descriptions) for MDB1291 results in a lot of hits...

...200046053973 - a set of pads AND disks for £26.99 buy-it-now

...220048823752 - a set of pads for £10.35 buy-it-now (but with the wrong photograph, but the correct outline if you click on the "Click here for a picture..." link)

So will £10.35 see me with a proper set of Mintex 1144's?????

Rippthrough
OK, so what's wrong with this reasoning...

- I want some 1144 compound pads for my 1.6GTi Bendix calipers which are on solid disks (NOT vented)

- The Mintex part number is MDB1291

- Peter Lloyd Rallying have them at £47 per set

- a search of eBay (Titles and Descriptions) for MDB1291 results in a lot of hits...

...200046053973 - a set of pads AND disks for £26.99 buy-it-now

...220048823752 - a set of pads for £10.35 buy-it-now (but with the wrong photograph, but the correct outline if you click on the "Click here for a picture..." link)

So will £10.35 see me with a proper set of Mintex 1144's?????

Nope, that's just the part number for that shape pad. The actual 1144 number is MDB12911144.

I think I have a barely used set kicking around in the garage for bendix calipers with solid discs :)

edit: Hmm, no mine are 1291, you running vented type calipers with solid discs then??!

edit 2: The ebay part numbers are 1291 too?! Which calipers do you have? Vented type bendix take a slightly different shape pad to solid types (although someone one told me you can modify on pads to fit the other, never tried though)

Edited by Rippthrough

oli-pug

this is interesting as recently ive put a set of 1144's on my 1.6gti with bendix vented calipers. the pads were a bad fit as they foul on a little bit sticking out on the carrier. maybe my pads are for the solid calipers!? :)

Rippthrough

Oops, should have read 1519 for mine ,

As far as I knew there's one set symmetrical (for vented) and one set asymettrical (for solids).

Mintex however show 3 - 1215 appears to be exactly the same as 1519 but has a central groove - should be interchangable.

1219 is the symmetrical type for vented discs-type calipers.

Edited by Rippthrough

Rippthrough
this is interesting as recently ive put a set of 1144's on my 1.6gti with bendix vented calipers. the pads were a bad fit as they foul on a little bit sticking out on the carrier. maybe my pads are for the solid calipers!? :huh:

What's the part number?

oli-pug

is the outside brake pad on the bendix callipers supposed to flat against the edge of the carrier or does it rest on this little (lump :huh: ) at the top and nothing at the bottom?

Rippthrough
is the outside brake pad on the bendix callipers supposed to flat against the edge of the carrier or does it rest on this little (lump :huh: ) at the top and nothing at the bottom?

Mine always sat flush?

th_IMGP0288.jpg

th_IMGP0289.jpg

That photo's seen some use!

Edited by Rippthrough

oli-pug

thanks, i must have the wrong pads then as mine cant actually fit in flat against the carrier :huh:

so i need to modify the pads or file the carrier nobbly bit down, which would you do mate?

Rippthrough
thanks, i must have the wrong pads then as mine cant actually fit in flat against the carrier :huh:

so i need to modify the pads or file the carrier nobbly bit down, which would you do mate?

I'm not perfectly sure which bit you mean, got a pic? (Or label mine?)

oli-pug

ermm, i'll label yours! excuse the sh*tness

is yours the solid disc caliper then? (are they different!? :huh: )

pad2.jpg

ahh, i must have the asymetrical solid type calipers then running vented discs :o

Edited by oli-pug

Rippthrough
ermm, i'll label yours! excuse the sh*tness

is yours the solid disc caliper then? (are they different!? :huh: )

pad2.jpg

ahh, i must have the asymetrical solid type calipers then running vented discs :o

Hmm, mines the solid disc calipers - so your's must be the vented as mine doesn't have that stuck out bit.

I'd probably take it off the caliper myself - then you can use both types of pads without worrying about it. Make sure it's not there to support the pad in some way though.

Are your pads the same as those then? I'm guessing you should be running the symettrical ones?

-Phillip

Edited by Rippthrough

Rippthrough

Tried rallydesign martin? They were cheapest for my bendix type ones IIRC.

Ahl

regarding the pads not sitting flush - are you sure you don't have the pads in upside down? ;)

oli-pug

gonna take a look at them in abit, im using the symetrical pads ordered from rallydesign aswell.

...and no they're not upside down! ;)

Rippthrough

Out of interest martin - why vented calipers, solid discs and 1144's?

Would it not be easier to try some vented discs?

-Phillip

MartinM

I'm not convinced that I've got vented calipers now!

As you know, it's a 205 Rallye and at first glance they look the same as the ones I used to have on my 205GTi 1.6 so I though the previous owner must have changed them...

...but I was always puzzled on how they managed to cope with a disc less than half the thickness of a vented one

...and Blue Book Endurance Rally regs don't allow you to change them anyway and it was built strictly to the Blue Book regs

So it looks I just need some 1144 compound MDB1291 shape pads - which I can't find on eBay! Rallydesign web site, here I come!

Rippthrough
I'm not convinced that I've got vented calipers now!

As you know, it's a 205 Rallye and at first glance they look the same as the ones I used to have on my 205GTi 1.6 so I though the previous owner must have changed them...

...but I was always puzzled on how they managed to cope with a disc less than half the thickness of a vented one

...and Blue Book Endurance Rally regs don't allow you to change them anyway and it was built strictly to the Blue Book regs

So it looks I just need some 1144 compound MDB1291 shape pads - which I can't find on eBay! Rallydesign web site, here I come!

It's easy to tell because there's 10mm missing off the caliper bridge.

So your's are the symmetrical type pads then? (i.e, not the ones in the photo)

You might need to ring rallydesign to get the ones you need.

-Phillip

Edited by Rippthrough

MartinM

No idea - I'm still at work in Reading and the car is 150 miles away in a barn in North Devon.

IIRC, the wear slots in the pads are opposite each other so that would suggest they're symmetrical???

Rippthrough
No idea - I'm still at work in Reading and the car is 150 miles away in a barn in North Devon.

IIRC, the wear slots in the pads are opposite each other so that would suggest they're symmetrical???

I'd imagine so - provided the slots are mid-way in both pads. As you can see with those in that pic above - it's easy to tell which is which, mine don't have wear slots however - I think that was to help with pad wear and fade on the bigger cars/later models.

-Phillip

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this