• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick

Re-furbing 309 Beam...

nick

After refurbing/lowering my 309 beam I noticed that there was a small amount of play on one of the trailing arms. I've tracked it down to the splines that go into the fixed end on the beam.

It's only a minute amount at the spline, but it translates to a good few mm at the end of the trailing arm.

Has anyone else had this? if so what is it thats likely to have worn, the torsion bar or the fixed spline on the beam?

If it's the fixed spline, can I use the fixed end that is coming off of my 205 beam on the 309 beam?

Cheers,

Nick

welshpug

have you checked the bolt?

I think i know what you mean, remove the mounting point from the old 205 beam and press it onto the 309 beam? it'll be quite hard to get it lined up correctly, let us know how you get along as I've got a scrap beam in the garage and always wondered about replacing the tube in it.

nick

All the bolts are done up tight and correct. It's definately play in the splines.

I wish I'd left it all rusted up!! there was no play in it then!!

Nick

jonnie205

Yes i had this lots of time and it will always be in the arm end of the bar. Its usually the ns that has play. Just fit it all back and it will be fine. Tightening the bolt further will not make any differnce to the amount of play

nick

Thats what I was thinking, just bang it on and don't worry about it!!

It's just annoying that the rest of the beam is perfect now.

I might even put a blob of weld on it to stop the play, after this refurb I'm not planning on stripping it for a good few years to come.

Nick

welshpug

good thinking, just dont make too good a job of it or itll never come of again!

though IIRC you can still remove the trailing arm and leave the torsion bar in place as that end is fixed, the other end is the one that sets stub axle end float.

Pugnut
Yes i had this lots of time and it will always be in the arm end of the bar. Its usually the ns that has play. Just fit it all back and it will be fine. Tightening the bolt further will not make any differnce to the amount of play

further on Jonnie's post : just fit it all back and it will be fine . it doesn't take long before rust binds it all up nicely !

nick

It's actually the fixed end (the end that attaches to the tube) and it's the drivers side!

It is only a small amount, about 3mm at the end of the trailing arm, so yeah it's going on at the weekend.

Cheers,

Nick

Sign in to follow this