• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
coombsfh

Bringing A Beam Up A Spline

coombsfh

I have am fitting an incredibly well sorted beam to my 1.6GTI, it is a 1.9 fully refurbed and with new callipers, pads and discs.

I am led to believe it has been dropped 2 splines as it was intended for use on an MI-16 trackday car. I would like it taken up a spline and I am wondering

>How easy is it for an unskilled non-mechanic to do?

>How much would I expect to pay a side to get it taken up a spline at a garage?

>Is there possibly anyone from the forum in or around wiltshire willing to come and teach me how to do it? (being paid too)

Any advice, as always, hugely appreciated.

Fred

welshpug

have you fitted it to the car yet? should be easy if its been apart recently and you do it off the car.

Daz_C

2 splines I think equates to around 60-70mm ? I don't know I don't do it that way.

As welshpug says it should be easy if its been apart recently, On or off the car.

Everybody has to start somewhere and if youve got the time its not that hard to do yourself. There is a guide on the site somewhere which will give you as much info as you need and more to do it yourself.

I wouldn't have thought you would be charged by the side it would be a completed job although some garages might try it on to make an extra buck. I've heard that some places by me quote anything upto £250. Not bad for a couple of hours work !

Most general garages aren't interested in this work god knows why as iit not that hard.

I'd imagine though someone on here would do it for less than a ton, but i'd give it ago yourself :)

Henry Yorke

As Daz and Welshpug says it should come apart easily which is the hardest bit. If you make up a dummy shock absorber then you can't really go wrong. However the guide on this site is here

Miles

As the beam's been apart it should come apart fine, Just follow the guide and you'll be fine, No special tools needed

Anthony
>Is there possibly anyone from the forum in or around wiltshire willing to come and teach me how to do it? (being paid too)

As said, it's not too hard to do it yourself on a refurbed beam, but if you get stuck or you're not confident in doing it then I'm in the process of moving over to Swindon and could pop over and sort it out for you if needed :)

Sign in to follow this