• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wildebeest

Front Brake Discs

Wildebeest

I fully intended to change the discs and pads on my 1.6 GTI today...but...

I only go so far as the pads, as I couldn't get the old discs out from between the gap between the caliper and the hub.

The discs are the standard vented ones and the calipers are Bendix.

Any ideas how to sort this? Presumably I need to take the calipers off, but how?

Any advice would be much appreciated please.

easypug

You do indeed take the calipers off, there are two 19mm bolts on the caliper. One towards the top and one towards the bottom (from behind, turn wheel full lock either way for better access). Once the caliper is off and the retaining screws for the disks are out the disks will come right off. :(

Wildebeest
You do indeed take the calipers off, there are two 19mm bolts on the caliper. One towards the top and one towards the bottom (from behind, turn wheel full lock either way for better access). Once the caliper is off and the retaining screws for the disks are out the disks will come right off. :(

Do I take the entire caliper off or just the metalwork where the pads sit?

easypug

Entire caliper :) Two 19mm bolts ;)

Wildebeest

OK, cheers - will have a go tomorrow. :) Presumably those are the bolts that go through the sliders?

Happy today in that I got the original stereo, dash(ARGHHH!) and pads on the car.

Just wheel cleaning(stripping/painting), respray, working out why the rear washer and boot lights doesn't work to go and then it will be back to pukka mint original condition.

welshpug

nope! not the sliders but the other bolts that hold the caliper carrier to the hub itself.

welshpug

the caliper bolts to the hub carrier here PICT0030.jpg

Wildebeest

A picture says a thousand words. :)

Thanks for your help.

Wildebeest

Just done the brakes and came back to check the picture. The caliper only has two bolts holiding it onto the hub, going through the middle of the sliders, not like yours. I undid the lower one and loosened the top one to get the disc in. All sorted and just been out to get them gently bedded in.

"Only" problem I've got now since the run around was a pop from the engine compartment, steam out of the exhaust, mayo in the filler cap and water pissing in the engine compartment. Head gasket? Sounds/looks costly?? - any ideas how much?

welshpug

sounds like you undid the sliders not the bolts I showed in the pic, they will be there, just further in towards the hub!

as for the water it sounds like you've just popped a coolant hose, wait till it cools down and have a look, if you stopped immediately you might be lucky and be able to just replace the hose and re fill with coolant, worst case scenario is a warped head.

Wildebeest

I was going to take a photo, to prove I wasn't going bonkers. The only bolts holding it to the hub were the ones going through the sliders.

Hope it was a hose, but it was under the RHS of the engine so couldn't see clearly for all the steam.

welshpug

aaah! doh!

forgot yours is a 1.6 :lol: so it would be just those 2 bolts, I'm used to caliper carriers and separate sliders not direct fit caliper.

looks like this then!

2C44A01A.gif

welshpug

sounds like a hose, theres a few down there, and the metal pipe in the wheelarch too.

theyll probably look like this, in which case a damn good excuse for some Bling Samco :lol:

PICT0096.jpg

PICT0097.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Wildebeest

That's the badger! :lol:

Oooh they are a bit bling aren't they?

Edited by 205309407

Wildebeest

Just for completeness....It was a hose. It was one of the smaller ones under the AFM which had a hole 5mm dia. The reason the car stuttered seemed to be the fact it was aiming right at the HT leads and dizzy cap.

So, plan of action for tomorrow is AFM off, hose off, reorder by looking up the part number on LASER, purchase, refit! Bingo.

Sign in to follow this