• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PugAddict

Arrrgh!

PugAddict

not a happy bunny :lol::(

Just driven home from work in my new-ish 205 GTi. I'm not going over 3k revs at the mo because the engine has just been rebuilt by the previous owner, so driving it pretty gently.

Half way into my 15mile journey home I was required to turn right onto a very busy back road (the A5 - 60mph).

Pulled out as conservatively as possible (as it's rush hour didn't want to get hit by oncoming traffic, but still didn't break 3k) and all of a sudden..........

jugga jugga jugga jugga stall :D Felt as if the sky had fallen in :D

Just had enough momentum to get across the lanes and pull over, hazards on :D

Turned the engine off and restarted, the engine seems absolutely fine but as soon as I pulled away, much of the same jugga juggary to a stall.

Engine revs fine in neutral, there's just no drive without one hell of a fight. I can select every gear but each one feels much the same.

I settled with pulling off in 3rd, riding the clutch somewhat, and limping the last 7 miles home like that.

The car felt ok when I coasted, but juddered and squealed like a wee piggy if I tried to break 20mph in 3rd :D

I need the car for work, so any swift ideas as to what the problems might be would be much appreciated!! :D

The only thing I can think of (with my extremely limited knowledge!) is that it might be the drivers side driveshaft, as the clunking was coming from in front of me to the right.

Please help!! Any ideas?

Regards

Dale :)

pugpete1108
not a happy bunny :lol::(

Just driven home from work in my new-ish 205 GTi. I'm not going over 3k revs at the mo because the engine has just been rebuilt by the previous owner, so driving it pretty gently.

Half way into my 15mile journey home I was required to turn right onto a very busy back road (the A5 - 60mph).

Pulled out as conservatively as possible (as it's rush hour didn't want to get hit by oncoming traffic, but still didn't break 3k) and all of a sudden..........

jugga jugga jugga jugga stall :D Felt as if the sky had fallen in :D

Just had enough momentum to get across the lanes and pull over, hazards on :D

Turned the engine off and restarted, the engine seems absolutely fine but as soon as I pulled away, much of the same jugga juggary to a stall.

Engine revs fine in neutral, there's just no drive without one hell of a fight. I can select every gear but each one feels much the same.

I settled with pulling off in 3rd, riding the clutch somewhat, and limping the last 7 miles home like that.

The car felt ok when I coasted, but juddered and squealed like a wee piggy if I tried to break 20mph in 3rd :D

I need the car for work, so any swift ideas as to what the problems might be would be much appreciated!! :D

The only thing I can think of (with my extremely limited knowledge!) is that it might be the drivers side driveshaft, as the clunking was coming from in front of me to the right.

Please help!! Any ideas?

Regards

Dale :)

at a guess i would say the gearbox is shagged :( , it wouldn't be a driveshaft if it coasts ok

vince

would say the same: gearbox.

now what exactly...

could you just clarify: when you're in neutral you can accelerate normally (up to 3000 in your case) or whatever?

could you also give more details about your car, engine, gearbox, why did the last owner rebuild then engine, and to which extent did he rebuild it?

vince

PugAddict

The gearbox had felt fine up until this point, will still slip into all the gears with no crunching etc...........??

Yup the car still deffo revs ok

The car is a 1990 1.6 GTi with a 1.9 bottom end (allegedly).

Don't know the exact reasons for the rebuild, blown bottom end I think????

I think it would've been a basic to medium rebuld - gaskets etc

vince

the question about the build is because if the engine fail blocked for example the gearbox may have suffered, and you may be suffering "collateral damages".

from what I've read the 1.9 bottom end should have a spacer on the oil sump, it may help you to identify your engine...

well, if the engine is rev normaly at least you're ok on that side, now you're left with the gearbox and drive shafts.

I had badly worn driveshafts and my turbo D once, but it was because I delayed their replacement to the maximum (I could reverse anymore as this would lift the engine...) but if one failed you should have signs before...

can't help you more than that, if it actually helped....

vince

gtimon

How long have you had the car from the previous owner.

I wondering if he remembered to put the oil back into the Gearbox when he refitted the lump back into the car. Thats if he took it out in one complete lump to do the work.

PugAddict

All help is much appreciated mate :lol:

I'll be able to check it out properly in the light

steve@cornwall
All help is much appreciated mate :lol:

I'll be able to check it out properly in the light

Check all g/box bolts are tight- and that the 8mm hex headed one at the rear has been fitted properly (seem to be often neglected in diy fixes) and that the intermediate driveshaft bearing retainers are fitted and tightened. I forgot the inter. bolts once snd got a severe judder after turning right as the shaft splines were not properly engaged.

PugAddict

Right, finally had a look at the car properly today (been away for the weekend) and all I can say is ****!

Slighty upset :( as it seems (again with my limited knowledge) that an upper engine mount has cracked off :lol:

It's the one to the left of the head by the cambelt cover, pics to follow..........

I guess this would explain the knocking.......... ;)

welshpug
:lol:

M@tt
I guess this would explain the knocking..........

yeah i'd say that would do it :lol:

Don't worry it's not a major fix at all and relatively cheap. You just need a new engine mount from someone on here and when you consider you can get a whole 8v engine for around £40 it won't cost you much at all.

You just need to jack up engine from underneath, unbolt old mount (couple of bolts) and replace with a new one. 1hr max if you haven't done it before.

Worthwhile checking whether the cv boots on your driveshafts have split/come apart as if the engine has dropped it's probably meant the driveshaft was rubbing on your wishbone.

Edited by M@tt

PugAddict

I'm not sure it's the actual mount..........that bolt has cracked away from the head by the looks of it. You can see the engine sags slightly on the left of the bay in picture 1.

Any ideas on how to remedy this.......

welshpug

bugger! looks like a new engine is required, cant say 100% till you remove the old one and jack the engine up a little tho so keep yer fingers crossed.

and IIRC the tensioner is housed in the mounting thats biolted to the block, so it may have altered the timing/skipped a tooth :lol:

Edited by welshpug

futura

I don't know how many bolts the engine mount is fitted to the engine with, but it looks as if all of them have not been tighten properly following the engine rebuild.

There's a second one that is unscrewing away, as circled:

damagepic2ck0.jpg

You will need to lift the engine up or even take it out to tighten everything back, hoping that the threads are not knackered...

ALEX

Looks like a new head is needed here.

the guy obviously rebuilt the engine and was unsure about how well it would hold together.

It ran so he sold it while he could.

I think he saw you comming.

I'd ring him up and give him hell.

Edited by ALEX

PugAddict
It ran so he sold it while he could.

I think he saw you comming.

I'd ring him up and give him hell.

:)

I think the previous owner would think I'd lost the plot if I rang him up to complain :D

I bought the car very cheaply as a slighty scruffy non-runner. After a damn good polish to restore the paint and some hard work by Gregg to get the engine running the car is now in great condition :) It looks like a completely different car :)

I think this may jus have to go down as "one of those things", not too uncommon in Pug ownership :lol:

Hopefully a change of head will sort this out ;)

steve@cornwall

Wasn't there a post a while ago suggesting that damage similar to this often followed fitting a skimmed head? and that slightly oversizing the mount holes was advised?

Sign in to follow this