• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dee-STDT

Turbo Diesel Service Advice

Guest Dee-STDT

Tomorrow i am hopefully going to give the STDT a service, i have the following parts to do...

• Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • Air Filter
  • Glow Plugs

I've got no worries about the air filter as that looks easy enough, but looking at the position of the oil filter, will much oil drain from it being in an upright position? I've changed petrol ones on 106 before and not done a 205 let alone a diesel. - Is it just a case of drain from the sump, replace filter then fill up?

Also glow plugs im not too sure about, is it just a matter if undoing the nut on top then removing the plug?

If anyone can scan in any pics/info from a diesel haynes manual that would be great or any advice would be very helpful as i only have a petrol version of haynes book.

Thanks.

vince

hi,

I've a 205 turbo D, and servicing this car is really easy.

for the oil filter (is it what you're talking about?) it's just standard: drain, remove the filter, fit the drain plug and the new filter and refill. you just need a classic strap wrench to unscrew the filter.

let the engine drain before removing the filter, and I usually place a large carton board under the car before doing servicings then any oil draining along the engine case, or oil remaining in the filter, won't poor on the ground.

when removing the oil filter, untighten it then after the last thread tilt it quickly opening upward so that any oil remaining will stay in the filter.

for the glow plugs, disconnect your battery to stay on the safe side, then disconnect the leads to the plugs and remove the plugs. be carefull not to drop anything in the cylinders while the plugs are out. I recommend that you remove one plug at a time and install the new one straight after having removed the old one...

while you're there you can still drain your diesel filter using the screw at the bottom of the filter case, it will remove any water trapped. you can also change that filter if you have it, though I don't know what is the servicing period for that one.

you can also check the vaccum pump (on the left behind the fuel filter), if it is leaking you may have to reservice it (but I have never done it...)

easy

vince

PS: what's STDT?

Edited by vince

welshpug

a good book to get hold of is the Peugeot/Citroen Diesel engine service book by Haynes,

But as far as the stuff you mentioned,

warm her up,

drop the oil and leave it to drain for a while,

remove filter, when you remove it turn it up asap or you will make a mess with the oil still in it, tip it into the container you used for draining the sump engine.

cleanup!

replace sump plug with a new copper washer (dont be a skinflint! they're only 50p or so from GSF) and tighten up to 22 LBFT

Fit new oil filter having wiped a finger dipped in oil on the seal (both sides) and tighten 3/4 of a turn once the seal contacts the block (some fuilters will have numbers or markings to assist)

refill with oil! take it slowly though.

leave for 20 mins half an hour and re-check oil level, its approximately 1 litre from min to max levels on the dip stick.

on some applications the glow plugs can be hellishly fiddly to replace, but it is simply a case of undoing the 8mm nuts holding on the interconnecting strap, then undoing the glow plug itself, no need to disconnect the battery, just make sure the keys are in your pocket!

when you put the new ones in dont forget the copper grease on the threads and dont do them up too tight (screw in by hand first, like you do with spark plugs) dont forget the feed wire when you hook it all back up.

IIRC the 205's setup uses a canister type Fuel filter, so thats as straight forward as the oil, place a bag or container under the filter to avoid contaminating the clutch with diesel (might not be above the gearbox though, I cant remember!!)

fit new filter, prime with bulb and bear in mind that it might need a bit of cranking to start up.

no need to worry about the vacuum pump, they will often outlast the engines.

hope that helps!!!

EDIT! shows how long I took to type that, someone else beat me to it, STDT is the model name, GTI specced Turbo diesel 205 :) 1.8 turbo non intercooled.

Edited by welshpug

Guest Dee-STDT

Thanks for all the advice, servicing it doesnt seem so daunting now I got a rough idea on how to go about it.

Ive not got a new fuel filter yet, the main reason was that there were 2 to choose from and wasnt sure on the correct one.

STDT stands for Sports Trim Diesel Turbo or something like that, is a 1.8 DT engine with the GTI body shell, mouldings & front suspension setup, or so I have read.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Dee-STDT

Guest BrainFluid

Drain the *potentially scolding* oil into a container that has at least a 5ltr capacity. Make sure you do this in a still enviroment too. Windy draining is a messy buisness!

Your local tip has an oil collection bin for you to pour the used oil into free of charge.

Your engine takes 4.5ltr of engine oil and your most likely to buy a 5ltr bottle from the shop. Dont put all 5 litres in unless your prepared to drain 0.5 ltrs out afterwards.

The best way is to pour from the 5ltr bottle 500ml) of motor oil, into a 500ml bottle first. Use this decanted 500ml of motor oil for topping up the engine with oil in the future.

Its worth keeping hold of the 5ltr empty bottle somewhere remember for future oil changing. It can be used to collect waste motor oil that you will be wanting to take down to the tip.

---------------------------

You could replace the rocker cover's gasket with a new one if you would like to further service your pug. Its probably well old and leaky.

Very easy just three little 10mm bolts to undo then take off the cover, pull off the gasket, replace gasket, cover back on.

Words of warning! Do not overtighten the three bolts when you put them back in!

---------------------------

Theres also a whole host of other fluids that you could renew too. Oh, and choose an old small towel of your and Upgrade into being an oil rag.

Nate.

EDIT: Damn, must quit the editing habit :lol: .

Edited by BrainFluid

vince

so the STDT is what I have. 1.8 turbo D engine, standard frame but with the GTI front and specific torque bars at the back...

It handles like a kart!!! I prefer its handling to my 1.6 GTI, because the back doesn't tend to become the front...

vince

welshpug

a9_1.JPG

36_1.JPG

thats an STDT, not the original wheels though.

these are - 90_1.JPG

Edited by welshpug

vince

then it must be specific for UK or export cars as there was nothing such in France.

Well, the only differences with the 205 D turbo, as it was called in France and which was the highest model of the diesel type, are the wheels (steel...) and the trims (wing extensions and large body belt trim). it was the same seats but with different colors, as well as the dashboard and the fllor covering...

vince

Guest Dee-STDT

Thanks for the advice on the oil, i thought it was 5ltrs but will take 0.5lts out from the bottle!

pug_ham
remove filter, when you remove it turn it up asap or you will make a mess with the oil still in it

On my STDT the filter is upside down & nicely obstructed by the end of the fuel pump so you can't avoid a spillage. ;)

You also need to get the smaller 14mm sunp plug washer as they are different to most GTi ones & old XUDs(16mm).

4.5 litres of oil is all you need, annoying as I've got three tubs with half litres & one I use to top up as mine hardly use's any. :)

Graham.

Guest BrainFluid
Thanks for the advice on the oil!

Your welcome.

Guest Dee-STDT

Just to say it all went really well!!!!

The air filter was a piece of pi55 & the old one was quite dirty!

Sump plug wasnt too tight & i think i undone it with a 20mm socket, there wasnt a washer on it though but the sump thread was tapered so the plug sat in nicely, will keep an eye on it incase it leaks though. Old oil was very thick & black so dont think it was done for a while.

Filter cam off easy with a chain strap, no spillage either as i left the oil draining while i changed the golw plugs.

Glow plugs not really a problem apart from the 3rd one in as i couldnt get a socket on it so had to use a spanner but all came out ok, they were quite black so glad i got new ones in now.

Engine started up well first time and doesnt seem to smoke so much now so all in all a good job done. Thanks for all the helpfull advice & i'd say to anyone give it a go rather than pay a garage to do it, about £38 done it all.

Sign in to follow this