• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

No Rear Seats For An Mot

TaffyTim

Im told that the car can be passed without the rear seats inside.

Can someone confirm that this is correct.

tom_m

as long as the rear seats, and all parts of the rear seat belts are completly removed it will be fine.

Edited by tom_m

hengti

mine has passed in that condition before

Miles

Yes that's fine, Track Car's, Rally car's don;t have back seats

TaffyTim

im leaving the seatbelts in though!!! They work fine and have no damage. Will it be ok?

crogthomas

The obvious question therefore is, why would you need seatbelts if you have no rear seats?

TEKNOPUG

Can't see it being a problem. I have rear seats but no rear seatbelts (I don't carry passengers so I haven't bother getting round to fitting them). When it comes to MoT time, I just take the rear seats out. Always passes.

It's a bit like spare tyres. It's not an MoT failure if you don't have a spare, but it is if you have a spare and it's bald.

ada205

Same as above here... Have no rear belts, and cant get easy access in or out the back cus of non reclining buckets, so i just remove the rear seats come mot time, and so far, in 3 years, the car hasnt failed a mot yet!

Edited by ada205

TaffyTim

good stuff, i should be ok then.

The reason why im taking them out is because the person i bought the car off has put leather seats in. While the front seats are secured the rears are not and just lie in place.

Ive been to a scrappy and dismantled a rear seat, then taken out the metal board that holds normal the back in place. Ive not found a way yet to attatch the leather back to this as the material does not wrap all the way arround the cushoning.

MartinM
im leaving the seatbelts in though!!! They work fine and have no damage. Will it be ok?

No.

Seats and seat belts = OK

No seats and no seat belts = OK

No seat and seatbelts = not OK

...I was told it might encourage passengers to get in the back and put the seatbelts on, even though they have nothing to sit on.

Also:

Seats and seat belts, but can't put seats upright because of roll cage = not OK

...because the MOT man can't check whether the seat backs can be solidly locked in place.

That IS weird.....

TaffyTim

ok that is bad. I just phoned the mot centre and the tester said that he will pass that part of the test as long as there is no section of a rear seat in place. He said if there is no sign of a seat there then the seatbelts are not counted as being there. So i suppose this is one of the grey areas where its down to the testers to have the final say.

He did said that if the backing plate is there then the above is not the case so im off now to remove that.

easypug

I dont have rear seats and my car failed.. :P

Ok it failed on brake lines and various things but bah! :)

Edited by easypug

hengti

i guess it's going to depend upon the individual tester's interpretation then.

mine has passed with a mixture of seats/belts having been removed - offside seat base and seat belt buckle removed (i have a driver's harness in the car at the moment - it's anchored to the rear seat base; the squab came out so that it didn't interfere with the harness).

has anyone got a tester's manual?

ed. beaten to it - guess you're going to have to do whatever's required to keep the tester you're using happy

Edited by hengti

Baz

Was going to say mine's passed before without rear seats but retaining seat belts. Seems as though it is another grey Mot area!

TaffyTim

came out much quicker than when it went in. I will find out later how the rest of the car holds up. I always hate the 1st mot that you have on a car.

TaffyTim

:lol::D :D IT PASSED :D :D :D

Im in deep shock that one of my cars has passed its 1st MOT with no problems, this never happens!!!

hengti

nice one!

i'd be spending the saved £40 re-test fee down the pub if i were you!

TaffyTim

its over £50 for a mot now, new prices have just come in. Glad there was no need for a re-test!!!

Ryan

£50 :lol:

I paid £35 last week, and got a free retest too.

jackherer

I paid £38 three days ago including a free retest, I think its down to their discretion how much they charge but the maximum has gone up.

The retest was just of the failed part too (a balljoint) they didnt retest the whole thing which was nice given the dodgy abs sensor which didnt activate the warning light during the first test fortunately...

t16ryan
Can't see it being a problem. I have rear seats but no rear seatbelts (I don't carry passengers so I haven't bother getting round to fitting them). When it comes to MoT time, I just take the rear seats out. Always passes.

It's a bit like spare tyres. It's not an MoT failure if you don't have a spare, but it is if you have a spare and it's bald.

So you havent got round to fitting the belts but you got time to remove and refit seats for MOT? why not just fit the belts?

And your spare does not come into the MOT whether its bald or not it doesnt matter its still a pass,

Baz

If the spare is there it has to be legal. :(

t16ryan
If the spare is there it has to be legal. :)

No it doesnt ;)

Edited by t16ryan

dommorton
No it doesnt!!!!!!!!!

Yes it does!

t16ryan

We have alot of MOT testers here are you 2 one of them ??? It cannot be failed, but they can advise you they cannot fail you and it doesnt even have to be advised as its not a tested item

Quote:

Notes: Although under-inflation is not in itself a reason for failure, a brake test may be inadvisable because of possible damage, and it may affect headlamp alignment. The condition of the spare tyre is not part of the MOT.

Edited by t16ryan

Sign in to follow this