• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
acox99

How To Line Up Cambelt On Rebuilt Engine?

acox99

how do you line up a cam belt on an engine that has been rebuilt. i done know what marks line up where.

can anyone help?

pug309twin40s

8v or 16v engine?

is the cyl head sat on the block or separate?

acox99

sorry forgot to mention its for alloy and iron block MI's, and out of interest on an 8v because iv got to re-build that some time. and have already taken cam belt off!!! not the best idea ever. the cylinder block can either be sat on block, what ever is easier.

jerseypug

there should be three holes. 1 in the crank belt pully and 1 each in the cam pullies. there are holes behind these which i usually push a drill bit through to go through the pullies and into the block / head. be carefull when turning anything without the belt on as the pistons could hit the valves. this has allways worked with me but someone might have a better way or explain it better. when the crank pin is in i think the pistons are halfway down their stroke, hope this helps

jonand
there should be three holes. 1 in the crank belt pully and 1 each in the cam pullies. there are holes behind these which i usually push a drill bit through to go through the pullies and into the block / head. be carefull when turning anything without the belt on as the pistons could hit the valves. this has allways worked with me but someone might have a better way or explain it better. when the crank pin is in i think the pistons are halfway down their stroke, hope this helps

On the Mi you will find that the holes through the cam pulleys and the equivalent holes in the head are different sizes - which means that stepped locking pins will be required to do the job properly. According to Haynes manual the sizes are 6.38mm for the head and 8.43mm for the pulleys - I made my own from old bolts turned down with a file and a drill. The crank pulley can be held using a drill bit though.

Good Luck

Jon

Sign in to follow this