• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonand

Flushing Oil In Mi16 - Opinions Please

jonand

Does anyone have any experience or views about cleaning out emulsified oil / water (mayo) following a HG failure, with the engine in situ. I have used flushing oil in the past with no apparent problems, but not in an Mi16. Or is the only real answer a complete stripdown and chemical wash ?

Thanks

Jon

jim21070

Jon, your second option would be best in an ideal world but I'd fill up with a cheap oil, circulate it around a bit on the starter motor, drain and refill with another load of cheap oil and run it for a couple of hunderd miles gently, preferably in one or two long trips to get the oil well and truely hot.

Have a look at what drains out and if all clear, awap the oil filter, fill up with good stuff and consider the job done.

Mayo is not that dangerus as long as it does not hang about too long. It can cause internal corrosion but will rapidly boil away once the engine is running at normal operating temperature. It certainly caused no lasting harm in one of my engines and the oil came out a pale, creamy brown..

jonand
Jon, your second option would be best in an ideal world but I'd fill up with a cheap oil, circulate it around a bit on the starter motor, drain and refill with another load of cheap oil and run it for a couple of hunderd miles gently, preferably in one or two long trips to get the oil well and truely hot.

Have a look at what drains out and if all clear, awap the oil filter, fill up with good stuff and consider the job done.

Mayo is not that dangerus as long as it does not hang about too long. It can cause internal corrosion but will rapidly boil away once the engine is running at normal operating temperature. It certainly caused no lasting harm in one of my engines and the oil came out a pale, creamy brown..

thanks Jim - wasn't sure if any residual water would interfere with the passage of oil to the bearings.

Jon

Malachy
thanks Jim - wasn't sure if any residual water would interfere with the passage of oil to the bearings.

Jon

This sounds awfull and i now someone is going to call me a heathen etc etc for this but i have done this procedure many times with no problems.even a k series which has been mayod up so bad the local kebab man was shocked!

Buy some ATF (Auto trans fluid) now fill the engine with a 50/50 mix of atf and cheapo tesco value style oil. Run the engine to temp and drain. the atf has properties that hold moisture so it will hold all the mayo and crap. once drained refil with super duper oil of choice :)

job done

Edited by Malachy

jonand
This sounds awfull and i now someone is going to call me a heathen etc etc for this but i have done this procedure many times with no problems.even a k series which has been mayod up so bad the local kebab man was shocked!

Buy some ATF (Auto trans fluid) now fill the engine with a 50/50 mix of atf and cheapo tesco value style oil. Run the engine to temp and drain. the atf has properties that hold moisture so it will hold all the mayo and crap. once drained refil with super duper oil of choice :lol:

job done

Thanks mate, I've not heard of that one before.

Jon

Sign in to follow this