• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry Yorke

Bypassing A Cti Power Hood "safety" Feature

Henry Yorke

I want to adapt my CTI's power hood to work with the engine running and the handbrake is on. I would be able to get a switched live from the handbrake feed to the dash light, however the back of the power hood switch is wired similar to an electric window switch with a central red wire and 2 green (earth?) wires.

I had a quick fiddle last night (with the switch!) and then packed up and resorted to the Haynes manual and beer, which achieved nothing as I could not find the wiring diagram for it. It is years since i retro fitted electric windows into my Junior D and XS so I have forgotten how the earthing system works.

The switch is like this with 1 and 3 being green wires and 2 being red. Feeding a live to 1 or 3 produces no movement with the ignition off

Up----Off----Down

|`````|`````|

Anyone any ideas before I start a process of elimination by blowing fuses!!

Edited by Henry Yorke

pug_ham

Live will be pin 2 imo, switched across to 1 or 3 for the motor direction but puzzled why the motor doesn't run with a direct 12v to it. :D

Have you got a multimeter? If not, risk one fuse & see what happens if you put power to pin 2? ;)

Graham.

Henry Yorke

I have tested again. Pin 2 is an earth. When the ignition is on, pin 1 and 3 have power. The motor only has 2 inputs to it so I assume there is a relay in it that reverses the polarity of the current to the motor depending which positive current it receives. It sounds a little over complexed for a simple switched up and down system.

The power hood switch still works with the electric windows relay removed

Am I missing something?

Up----Off----Down

|`````|`````|

M30~300~M31 <-Wire numbers

Ignition off

M30 - nothing

300 - earth

M31 - nothing

Ignition on to STOP light lit

M30 - 12v

300 - earth

M31 - 12v

Running

M30 - nothing

300 - earth

M31 - nothing

pacey205

Henry

The relays on my old mans power hood are on the passenger side of the boot in the 3/4. There is two of them on his, you can hear them click when operating the switch.

HTH

Michael

Henry Yorke

Cheers Michael. I bet the currents are just flowing the opposite directions then through the relays, so in theory the roof can go down but not come up if one relay fails. I will put the car in the garage backwards tonight and have a play about :)

Henry Yorke

Someone on the PSOOC forum was asking about this so I wrote up a solution and thought I would close off this post for those who are searching in the future!

Yes the power hood on a CTI only works with the stop light illuminated. However I bypassed this on mine so the power hood works all the time. Great when you are in traffic and it starts to rain and you have the standard 205 dicky starter motor!!

1. prize off the coin holder with the power hood switch on.

2. Pull off the brown connector from the back of the switch

3. undo the 2 clips on the ends of the connector and bend back hinged part

4. coax out the middle wire (pin 3)

5. shrink wrap / tape the end of the wire so it will not earth itself

6. insert a new wire with a similar connector into pin 3 and earth the other end using a crimped on ring connector onto the top of the gearbox with an extra nut and washer on top of the exposed thread

Other option is to cut the pin 3 wire and join to an earthed wire, keeping the connector in place. This does not allow you to go back to the factory standard option without a connector in the wires

Please note this feature is there is there as standard to stop the roof being activated when the car is moving. An option is to put a 2 way toggle switch in to select between the bypass or standard

2Power-Hood-Bypass-web.jpg

Sign in to follow this