• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Faz85

Does Anyone Know The Location Of The Knock Sensor?

Faz85

Hello All,

I've done a search on this but can only seem to find information relating to the Mi engine. I dont suppose anyone knows the location of the knock sensor on the 1.9 8v??

I've had a quick look but cant see where it might be...under the inlet manifold perhaps? The reason i ask is the engine is pinking under load, even with V Power and im suspecting that the knock sensor may be at fault.

However, the K light does not light up...is it at all possible that the knock sensor could be giving an "OK" reading (excuse the terminology) despite the presence of knock?? in other words, could the knock sensor fail and NOT produce a K-light error?

As usual, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Faraz

welshpug

erm?! doesn't mention one at all in my haynes workshop manual!!

pug_ham

If its the same as the alloy 16v engines it might be fitted on the front side bolt into the centre main bearing cap underneath the inlet manifold but Miles should be able to confirm this as I've never seen one & can't find it on the parts CD.

Graham.

Miles

No knock sesnor on these engine's, as the early 2 row Mi's, Basically what I call a cheap get me buy soloution, as the ECU can cope without a AFM etc.

But the pinking could be the Dizy location, Has it still got the locating peg's to stop it tuning?

Faz85
No knock sesnor on these engine's, as the early 2 row Mi's, Basically what I call a cheap get me buy soloution, as the ECU can cope without a AFM etc.

But the pinking could be the Dizy location, Has it still got the locating peg's to stop it tuning?

Im confused...I thought motronic M1.3 had a knock sensor :ph34r: mind you, i couldnt seem to find one when i had a quick look earlier. As for the dizzy? locating pins? you've lost me there miles...I thought the timing couldnt be changed at all via the dizzy on the later 8v engines!?

B1ack_Mi16
Im confused...I thought motronic M1.3 had a knock sensor :ph34r: mind you, i couldnt seem to find one when i had a quick look earlier. As for the dizzy? locating pins? you've lost me there miles...I thought the timing couldnt be changed at all via the dizzy on the later 8v engines!?

AFAIK the XU9JAZ is running 3row M 1.3 ecu like the cat version of XU9J4Z.

Knock sensor mounted on the middle of the block under inlet manifold. (on the stud that also goes through to the middle main bearing cap.

Miles

If you look at the Dizzy you should see a couple of ¬ spacers to stop the Dizzy tuning as it's basically a hollow version of a std non cat Dizzy again to cut costs and not using a coil pack.

There is no Knock sensor on this engine or I'll eat my hat if I had one!!

Faz85
If you look at the Dizzy you should see a couple of ¬ spacers to stop the Dizzy tuning as it's basically a hollow version of a std non cat Dizzy again to cut costs and not using a coil pack.

So are you saying you can alter the ignition timing on yours then Miles? I was under the impression that it is not possible to alter the timing on this engine, as its controlled by the ECU. I think this calls for a proper inspection tomorrow!

Miles

The ECU system on these car's is still basic and the ignition can be adjusted unlike the Mi16 where the Dizzy cap bolt's onto the head directly. But it should be set in the middle for a std setting

Richie-Van-GTi

From what Ive seen of later engines there isnt a knock sensor but the dizzy is adjustable, AFAIK it doesnt have vaccuum advance on the dizzy.

welshpug
From what Ive seen of later engines there isnt a knock sensor but the dizzy is adjustable, AFAIK it doesnt have vaccuum advance on the dizzy.

yup, because the ecu controlls the advance but doesnt set the base setting as it has no knock sensor to do this with.

Faz85
yup, because the ecu controlls the advance but doesnt set the base setting as it has no knock sensor to do this with.

but if the ECU controls the advance, then surely there must be a knock sensor?? otherwise, how does the ECU know how much it has to advance or retard the ignition by?

welshpug

because the manually adjusted distributor sets the starting point, adn the ecu uses the TPS and AFM (i.e Load) to determine how much advance to give within a specific range, just like what the dizzy does mechanically.

engines that have self learning ecu's basically go through a process that records the reference points (I.E advances as far as it can till it pinks then retards till it stops) and stores these.

obviously by not having a knock sensor the ecu cannot do this and has to make do with factory set parameters.

Faz85

Many Thanks for the replies guys...Are these the aforementioned spacers Miles? (see pic 1)

Picture 1 - Dizzy

Is it OK to remove the spacers and retard the timing?? I dont fancy fixing one problem to create another!

Also...apologies for going off topic ever so slightly, but while i had the camera out i thought i would ask, does anyone know what these 2 are in the block? taken from under the inlet manifold (see pic 2)

Picture 2 - Sensors On Block

Thanks

Faraz

pug_ham
Also...apologies for going off topic ever so slightly, but while i had the camera out i thought i would ask, does anyone know what these 2 are in the block? taken from under the inlet manifold (see pic 2)

Picture 2 - Sensors On Block

L-R Oil pressure warning switch & oil pressure sender.

Graham.

Faz85

Thanks Graham :lol:

Faraz

Miles

They are the spacer's, I've run a car without these OK but just take care,

Faz85

Thanks Miles :D

I've just been out and retarded the timing slightly, I was able to move the dizzy about 3mm anti-clockwise with that pin still in place!? and it seems to be running fine. I think i'll leave the pin where it is and see how it goes for the next few days.

Thanks for the help

Faraz

welshpug

umm, anti clockwise as you look at it from the left side of the car? doesnt matter if its worked but you've just advanced it not retarded it!

Sign in to follow this