• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dommorton

Which Is The Temp Gauge Sender?

dommorton

I've searched on here and not found a definitive answer so far so any help appreciated.

My temp gauge isn't registering at all. I've found which wire is which so I know which is the gauge and which is the red warning light. The loom is fine as one makes the gauge max out when earthed and the other brings the red light on.

However I'm not certain which sender is which as switching the wires over makes no difference as the red light still goes out on both ;)

The one on the outside nearest the dizzy is blue tipped single spade, and the one nearest the head is black.

Does anyone know which should be the gauge? (presuming someone hasn't swapped the senders round in the head too) :)

Edited by dommorton

smighall

Oooh, i was just about to post the exact same question....so if anybody knows that would be great :blink:

stutto
Oooh, i was just about to post the exact same question....so if anybody knows that would be great :blink:

Prettu sure the one closest to the dizzy end is the temp sensor, I had problems last week. Red plastic collar on the sender?

dommorton

The one nearest the dizzy on mine is blue but I guess it may be an aftermarket one given the age of the car.

smighall

I think mine is blue from memory too.

pug_ham

Looking on this page it could be the one nearest the head on the thermotstat housing which is the smaller of the two sensors.

TBH if you cross connect them its not bad, just if you find the guage isn't working swap them over again & see if it does.

Graham.

Grim.Badger

The blue one (normally faded to a grey) will be the ECU temp sender, so the black one must control the dash guage.

dommorton

I'm still none the wiser as that peugeot diagram is a bit sketchy :D

I have tried both and neither make the gauge work ;)

So whichever it is it's broken :blink:

pug_ham

IIRC mine has a red cap & wire for the temp sender & the switch is a green wire with yellow cap on the terminal.

I doubt the sensor will be broken, its more likely a wiring fault.

Is your engine hot?

Graham.

dommorton

Engine comes up to temp fine and fan cuts in etc.

I've replaced the brown multiplug in the past and the wires are no longer coloured as they were due to me having to replace them.

However the gauge is maxed out if the cable is earthed. Can't see how the wiring can be at fault if it completes the circuit doing this?

pug_ham

It is an odd one, get a test known working sensor.

Graham.

dommorton

Perhaps I'll just buy a new one and stop being tight lol

dommorton

Popped in to Euros and ordered one.

Not sure it's the right one as they only had the 2 pole ECU one or a 1 pole temp one (ordered this). No mention of the other 1 pole one!

I'm guessing the one they supply will be for the gauge as it's a more common complaint than the red light being in-op.

At £2.40 it's worth a punt

pug_ham

If its wrong I can spare one of each for the price of posting.

Graham.

dommorton

Excellent thanks

Picked up the Euros one a min ago and it has a red top?

Will try it later and let you know.

dommorton

Was too dark to fanny about fitting it tonight so I carried out a crude yet effective test on the new one.

Connected it up and dunked it in hot water then watched the gauge rise :D

08112006128.jpg

dommorton

Sorted :(

Was the one nearest the Dizzy on mine. New red top sender works a treat. Easy fix for under £3

Sign in to follow this