• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
de Noir

[car_restoration] Sorrento Gti16v Full Rebuild

de Noir

Finished minor surface rust repairs on my "sorted" shell yesterday...

Bodyshop "forgot" to do lower side of bulkhead-floor lip joint, possible reason not-so-easy access because of front trolley crossmember. So, rear side of bulkhead-floor seam weld was left to rust in peace.

I couldn't afford to ruin engine bay paintjob with powertool so decided to scrub it lightly with a brush and then apply rust inhibitor.

Job done, Loctite 7500 treatment looking good, surface rust converted to stabile hard black oxid film.

According to spec sheet, this stuff also works as protectant and primer. I applied a coat of Novol body protectant ontop, now a touch of sorrento green and this should be it...

Tinkering around the car's belly I found many bodyshop-not-focusing-on-a-job spots... This is really frustrating! :D:):)

Motivated by this, decided to take some precaution measures...

Applied Loctite 7500 inside door skin-frame and rear quarter-sill joints, I'll try to do the same inside sills and front chasis crossmembers with Teroson Terotex HV350 cavity conservation agent.

Pics ASAP.

Edited by MH_

de Noir

Update:

1. Fuel, brake and PAS pipig laid out. Link.

30021_G.thumb.jpg

2. Issues with rear beam! Again! > Solved. Ride height reset to 310mm, beam on its place. Finally. Link

33116_G.thumb.jpg

3. Front suspension, yet more issues! As you may have read elsewhere, 309 springs I got turned to be aftermarket stuff.

Too short, don't fit to B4 Bilsteins. Pulled "old" 205GTI springs out of stash and had them sandblasted. Powdercoating as you read, assembly tomorrow. Front frame and ARB in its place. Link.

32113_G.thumb.jpg

4. Did some parts detailing along the way, some pics here.

Problems, problems and yet more problems. :unsure:

Edited by MH_

FicaGTI

Mate, you are doing an excelent job, just keep on, realy would like to see it when it is done, greetings from Pozega

de Noir

Hello boys. Long time no hear... :blush::D

Here is the result of my (slow) progress:

- suspension and steering completed

- brakes completed

P9010069.highlight.jpgP9010079.thumb.jpgP9010054.thumb.jpgP9010051.thumb.jpg

To cut story short, slow progres through lot of small issues. Now everything sorted and she's back on her wheels again.

Started the interior and wiring. Next issue in half a year or something like that! :D

More details in my gallery. Cheers! :)

PS: Thanks Fica, salut to Vallis Aurea. :)

welshpug

I don't think it matters how slow the progress is as long as you can maintain such a high standard of finish!

one thing I noticed whilst browsing your pictures, you are using a 306 gti PAS ram, have you checked that you still get foll steering lock in both directions?

when fitted to the 306 rack it limits the Right hand lock by 1/3rd of a turn, not ideal if it also does the same on a 205 rack, unless you are intending on fitting the 6 speed transmission as well...

de Noir

Cheers welshpug... I'm doing my best. :D

I haven't checked hybrid rack for lock.. This hasn't even occured to me! :)

Always thought GTI6 has somekind of outer mounted lock limiter.. Never bothered to check under the hood!

Although, I did check both rams for operating length, they were the same as far as I can remember.

If this is correct what you state, this is rather bad news.. And wrench time again... :) ...as I haven't planned six speed box.

I had misfortune with my "regular" ram: ordered new bushes, pressed out old ones and discovered new stuff doesn't fit.

Diameter too small, outer metal ring nonexisting. :D

So I took the ram from 306GTI steering rack I got in stash for my six few years ago and fitted it instead.

I'll check this immediately, thanks for posting. Have another spare pas rack, lucky me. :blush:

Edited by MH_

j_turnell

Coming along nicely mate, good work.

nimmo

looks great can't wait to see the end result.

de Noir

me too mate, me too. :D

one thing I noticed whilst browsing your pictures, you are using a 306 gti PAS ram, have you checked that you still get foll steering lock in both directions?

when fitted to the 306 rack it limits the Right hand lock by 1/3rd of a turn, not ideal if it also does the same on a 205 rack, unless you are intending on fitting the 6 speed transmission as well...

steering lock checked. a-OK! both hands equal, about 1,5 turn. no problems there! :)

Edited by MH_

NeilGTi85

Any chance you could tell me where you got the weather strip from as mine is chipped in places,

Cheers

Neil

de Noir

I got it from Puegeot spare parts.

9021 02 left

9021 03 right

Although, it wasn't an easy order at all.. Had to wait for a while...

Got the right side in a week or two, left kept coming a year or so. :lol:

NeilGTi85
I got it from Puegeot spare parts.

9021 02 left

9021 03 right

Although, it wasn't an easy order at all.. Had to wait for a while...

Got the right side in a week or two, left kept coming a year or so. :lol:

:lol:

What sort of price did you pay?

Also what did you use to stick it down with?

Cheers

Neil

P.s. You project is an inspiration!

cybernck

very nice progress, getting there! :(

btw, next time i'm in Zagreb, i won't let you escape without showing me the car :lol:.

de Noir

Cheers Neil, glad you like it. ;)

Weatherstrip list price was around 25€ + tax per side.

It has a self adhesive factory applied, you just undo the protecting foil, carefully stick the thing to the shell and nail it with plastic rivets.

I used old ones, so make sure you don't break or loose both rivets and rivet locking pins when taking off.

@Nick: It depends... of quantity and quality of sweeteners you'll bring in... :):D

Edited by MH_

NeilGTi85
Cheers Neil, glad you like it. :)

Weatherstrip list price was around 25€ + tax per side.

It has a self adhesive factory applied, you just undo the protecting foil, carefully stick the thing to the shell and nail it with plastic rivets.

I used old ones, so make sure you don't break or loose both rivets and rivet locking pins when taking off.

Cheers

Neil

de Noir

Old rear quarter trim fitted for clearance check:

P9140044.jpg

309 beam + 20mm TBs ride height set at 310mm happens to be much higher than I expected. :blink:

I guess rear end will drop further with full interior install..?

Lowering chiefs, what do you reckon, how much drop is to get?

cybernck

a little bit but not too much (that's way too high) and you'll definately have to lower it i reckon.

de Noir

P9170048.thumb.jpgP9170043.thumb.jpg

rear ride height reset.. looking better now.

Edited by MH_

welshpug

looks just right there, what did you set it to in the end?

tyres look like they have gone a bit hard, bit of a shine to them!

de Noir

This is "working" speedlines set I'm using just to have the car on wheels until finished.

I wanted to try 300mm, but had an accident while lifting the car...

Somehow managed to leave tripod stand in wrong place... :ph34r:

And now I'm having rather big dent on the right sill, next to rear wing. <_<:(

Upset with this, hadn't patience to do everything by the book, I did a TB spline turn.

So, in the end it's 310mm minus one spline turn. I forgot to measure the distance though. Next time. Hopefully, without new dents! :lol:

Edited by MH_

de Noir

Sill accident sorted, bars and levers job - paintless-dent-removal way:

PA080002.jpg

Half way through door assembly, open-close mechanism, locks, handles, wiring and window rails fitted.

Started with interior wiring too.

Car lifted again (this time without an accident :) ) to check rear ride height as this puzzles me lately a lot:

310mm minus one spline turn turned to be exactly 300mm I wanted to try.

The wheel-to-trim clearance difference between 300-310mm is huge! As far as I can remember, it's somewhere in 40-50mm region.

This setup is visually looking right to me, maybe a bit low. Would sure not like to have rear wheels rubbing body trim under cornering, payload, etc.

I expect rear end to lift a bit when engine hops in, so for now I'll leave it as it is, set at 300mm, and readjust later if needed.

Edited by MH_

de Noir

Hi there.. :rolleyes: Almost finished with the easier part of the cabin:

Front doors completed, rear quarter mouldings, insulation mats and carpets and safety belts fitted.

New door and window seals all around.

Pics here and here. Cheers!