• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PUGugly

Minimum Head Thickness Before Skimming

PUGugly

Got several heads off 205's, needed to know what the minimum thickness the head can be before skimming becomes impossible any more. Also where bount the measurement is taken.

PUGugly

Anyone??? pls!!!

ALEX

Aparently you can take over 1mm (which is Sh!t loads) off the standard head to bring the compression up on a XU head without worrying about the valves hitting the pistons.

Edited by ALEX

welshpug

depends which XU head, they do vary a little, post whichj one and I'll se if its covered in the haynes manuals i've got.

PUGugly

They are XU9JA's

Higgy

Ummm. I thought Haynes said 0.2mm is max to take of Mi head.

Is it something like 137mm? cant remember numbers off top of my head. I did get mine measured before the skim, I'll try and remember to have a look later for the numbers.

Higgy.

Higgy

Right here are the measurements of my head at various places before a 0.2m skim:

132.0228mm

132.0457mm

The minimum thickness is 132mm, but I cant remember the tolerance. Anyhow, even after a 0.2mm skim I have no running problems. Engine revs up past 7k rpm with no piston smacking :)

Higgy.

SweetBadger
Right here are the measurements of my head at various places before a 0.2m skim:

132.0228mm

132.0457mm

The minimum thickness is 132mm, but I cant remember the tolerance. Anyhow, even after a 0.2mm skim I have no running problems. Engine revs up past 7k rpm with no piston smacking :)

Higgy.

Mine was skimmed to 131.3mm (measured with verniers at each end), was not well pleased! But it runs well and I haven't got any problems with piston-valve clearance running the catcams inlet-only cam which is higher lift than standard.

PUGugly
Mine was skimmed to 131.3mm (measured with verniers at each end), was not well pleased! But it runs well and I haven't got any problems with piston-valve clearance running the catcams inlet-only cam which is higher lift than standard.

Were do you measure too? Obviously head face but whats the top point :)

petert
Aparently you can take over 1mm (which is Sh!t loads) off the standard head to bring the compression up on a XU head without worrying about the valves hitting the pistons.

Would you believe 2mm! The valves will never hit the pistons.

PUGugly
Would you believe 2mm! The valves will never hit the pistons.

Yeah but where do i measure from and too pls?

If you were to take 2 mm off what sort of comp ratio would it be running?

Higgy

From the flat side of the cylinder head where the combustion chambers are, to the top of the cylinder head (take the cam ladder/carrier off and remove the cams).

Try this pic :huh:

post-6419-1163593249_thumb.jpg

Higgy.

P.S. I take it you have the head off and valves removed? Makes life a lot easier.

PUGugly

Cheers Higgy! :D

Thats what I thought but was a little unsure! The fact that the part to take the top measurement from is at an angle on the 8v (prob same on Mi but me not know these engines) threw me a little. :o Must of been blonde in a former life :D

Sign in to follow this