• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Starter Motor Size....

madspikes

I'm in the process of modifying my pug, and I need to use a small starter motor, due to space constraints. I have two starter motors at the moment, one quite large and the other smaller, shown in the picture below. I'm wondering which is the norm, and where I could source another of the smaller starters, or another small starter that will fit a 1.9 Gti, as I dont want to design something around a starter motor that I cant get a spare of.

image017.jpg

Thanks

Mad. :)

welshpug

i'd design it around the larger of the two, it will then give yuo more space to work on if you fit the smaller one, I cant remember the starter on mine being that big when i replaced it like for like at GSF though.

jim21070

I may be wrong but the top picture shows a starter often used with diesel engines. Certainly our 205D uses a very similar one and my Xantia one is very much the same. AFAIK these are reduction geared to give a lower cranking speed but a lot more torque to help overcome the higher CR of a diesel engine.

Both should do adequately on any XU motor although I'm not sure if the lower cranking speed will cause any issues on a petrol engine. I always believed a petrol engine benefitted from a "fast" starter motor.

Generally though, all XU starter motors are pretty much interchangable.

boombang

In my experience, 309 Gti's and 405 Mi's have smaller ones standard.

That may just be me though.

Miles

My Fav topic, (Hides)

The large starter's are crap and are forever giving the click click sindrome, They are found on all 1.6, 1.9 Pugs, The later 2L car's and most XU's from 1994 use the smaller one's which I've never had a single problem with, Lighter too.

If buying one new, You must state you want the smaller type or one that fit's the S16 engine (XU10J4) as the solinoid lays towards the rad (or it would hit the inlet manifold) and giving you loads of room under the inlet.

madspikes

Thanks, that all does seem good news. It wasnt an option really to use the bigger starter motor, there isnt the space. The space constraint is across the engine in my case, so a short small motor bodied is what I need. Right I think I'll start looking out for an new S16 one then!

Mad. ;)

stutto
Both should do adequately on any XU motor although I'm not sure if the lower cranking speed will cause any issues on a petrol engine. I always believed a petrol engine benefitted from a "fast" starter motor.

I am running a diesel starter and it definitely starts better than its predecessor, although I imagine that a direct replacement would have too. Only issue is the longer length preventing the inlet manifold brace from being fastened to the block without an 'adapter'.

Anthony

I'm with Miles on this one - ditch the crappy large Bosch/Mitsubishi starters and use the slimline Valeo ones from the 2.0 engines. You'll need to swap the spade connector for a ring on the solenoid wire, but that's a 30 second job.

Can also use a diesel one should you wish, but there really is no need unless you're running high compression and the slimline Valeo ones crank over plenty fast enough :blink:

madspikes

Thanks guys. Just picked up a fresh recon one from ebay for a few £'s!

Mad :D

huxley309

Nice one, i too am using a derv starter as the higher compression puts a strain on the normal petrol ones and she starts great every time

Anyone know where you can get replacement brushes for these?

Edited by huxley309

John_B

Interesting - I think my starter has just packed in.

So I want a 306 S16 starter but from what year?

And this will definately fit under a shortened Mi inlet?

Sign in to follow this