• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jerseypug

Foreign Object In The Gearbox

jerseypug

i have a 205 mi16 and my crank sensor kept on breaking by something hitting it. i have just taken the gearbox off and have found in the bellhousing a bit of metal that looks like one of the dowls that hold the clutch in place. i have checked all the dowls and taken the clutch cover and plate off and everything looks fine. anyone have any idea what it could have been? it is a cylinder about 13mm long with a diameter of about 7mm which is pretty battered as it actually locked the wheels up when it destroyed the first crank sensor.

jackherer

sounds like the pin that goes onto the clutch arm on a BE1 gearbox.

crogthomas

The clutch pin on a BE1 box is about 40mm long though.......

Or perhaps it was.

steve@cornwall

Is there a dowel that locates the sensor? Seem to remember one. If so could it be this?

vince

what about some sort of tool (or part of) used to stop the crank from rotating, as you use when you do the timing belt? well, ok, it should be 8 mm, but...

vince

jochem

Could it be a fitting spacer to occomodate fitting of the box to the block? The ones that are in the holes where the bolts go through.

Hilgie

Sounds like one of the dowels to me.

pug_ham

Clutch cover location dowel?

Size sounds about right.

Graham.

post-71-1162571461.jpg

jerseypug

it is just like the clutch location dowel but all three of them were in place. the dowels that hold the gearbox to the engine are bigger and hollow. i have checked the clutch as it was specially made by proven products but all was well there and nothing was missing. the crank sensor was held in by an allen key from above. the 405 i bought for the gearbox had very little left of the clutch when i bought it. it had exploded leaving parts of the plate everywhere. maybe it was something off that clutch plate that was stuck in the gearbox but doubtfull as the bellhousing went through the dishwasher and i would have seen something if it had been still in there.

Sign in to follow this