• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob_the_Sparky

Standard Suspension + Decent Power

Rob_the_Sparky

My 205 is a bit waywood at the moment, what I'm trying to determine is whether it is due to worn parts or incorrect set-up or whether it is inherient when running more torque than normal.

I have a tuned 8v that is running rather nicely at the moment but steering pulls quite a bit in reaction to minor bumps in the road surface. Tracking is close to correct, just a touch toe in but am figuring that I can fiddle with that in the next few days.

Suspension is stock all round (apart from Grp N rubbers) and on the whole new (or less than 2 years old). One wishbone and the ARB drop links at the front are original. Tyres are new Eagle F1s.

Can it be brought under control while retaining a stock suspension set-up??? Not much left to replace!!

Cheers

Rob

Alastairh

Is it from stand still really badly?

Say if you were doing a smooth 50 mph and just swiftly accelerated does it still do it?

Rippthrough
My 205 is a bit waywood at the moment, what I'm trying to determine is whether it is due to worn parts or incorrect set-up or whether it is inherient when running more torque than normal.

I have a tuned 8v that is running rather nicely at the moment but steering pulls quite a bit in reaction to minor bumps in the road surface. Tracking is close to correct, just a touch toe in but am figuring that I can fiddle with that in the next few days.

Suspension is stock all round (apart from Grp N rubbers) and on the whole new (or less than 2 years old). One wishbone and the ARB drop links at the front are original. Tyres are new Eagle F1s.

Can it be brought under control while retaining a stock suspension set-up??? Not much left to replace!!

Cheers

Rob

It'd get the tracking spot on first, as it is the most likely culprit and the easiest to sort, then go from there, even a small amount of extra toe in can cause what you described. Set them parallel would probably be the best bet.

jackherer

I'd be pretty suspicious of an original wishbone! I've found that a small amount of play at either end of the wishbones causes pretty alarming chracteristics under power and also makes it virtually impossible to accurately set the tracking as the hub can move about while its being measured.

Rob_the_Sparky

OK cheers guys, was getting a bit down about it - that has helped!

Rob

P.S. From a stand still isn't too bad but then my engine has a power hole at the bottom, pretty useless below 1800rpm so I tend to start it off gently. Tis most noticable when trying to put down out of a corner and on an MWay (overtook a car yesterday and barely moved the steering, engine steered for me!)

Dixon
and on an MWay (overtook a car yesterday and barely moved the steering, engine steered for me!)

I get this aswell, I had the tracking set properly which made it a bit better but it still does it.

Accelerate hard and it pulls to the right, then lift off and it snaps back to normal.

So is the conclusion that it may be warnout wishbones?

jackherer

throttle steering is most definitely caused by flakey wishbones, and the difference in handling once you fix it will put a smile on your face for sure :blush:

I got a couple of 309 wishbones from buypartsby for about £34 each recently and the quality seems as good as any others I've seen.

jackherer

get it tracked again afterwards though, its good practice to do so after changing suspension components anyway, but because you've both had the tracking set with a moveable wishbone your tracking is likely to be way out. I had this happen recently with mine and the tyre wear was shockingly bad.

Rob_the_Sparky

I set mine at the weekend, after the first wishbone replacement, and the tracking was MILES out. I'm amazed how stable the car was considering how far out it was (not good but not as bad as I'd have expected).

As said much better now I've corected it but still not ideal. Will go find another wishbone and try again...

Rob

Alastairh

Yeah deffinatly a good bet.

If in dought new pug bushes are £16 a side, just bought some yesterday.

Alastair

James_R

Gald it's sorted Rob, was going to say, you'd feel torque steer back through the wheel, and the 205s are preety neutral cause of the equal (virutally) length shafts. try a 200BHP corsa on very unequal shafts, literally drages you about the road :)

Rob_the_Sparky

I've got some Pug buses in stock, will use them if the new wishbone isn't the solution.

MOT tomorrow so wishbone goes on after I've fixed whatever fails!

Rupertfinch
I've got some Pug buses in stock, will use them if the new wishbone isn't the solution.

MOT tomorrow so wishbone goes on after I've fixed whatever fails!

Pug buses? I do hope it hasn't got so bad that you have been forced to use public transport?

MOT - win or lose?

Sign in to follow this