• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Setting Up Carbs (emissions Etc)

Richie-Van-GTi

Bit of a techy question. Im currently working on my 205 and putting it on bike carbs (R1) in the process. Anyway I need a rough guide to getting it running enough to take her for rolling road tune up. Can I somehow play about using an emmissions tester with the car not under load to get some more or less correct mixtures?

I know at idle I should be looking sub 3.5 and I can use my colour tune to make sure the flame is the right colour. But what about off idle but not under load. Should I set it so its slightly rich to allow for it being under load then just play about to get an even pattern throughout?

axnutty

Cant really answer your question matey, but im doing an R6 carb conversion on a TU engine at the moment so its of interest to me too. I see your local though, and if you dont already theres Bogg brothers down near Malton that specilise in bike carb conversions. It may be easiest to hire a car trailer and just get it down to them for a rolling road session and let them sort it out. Thats my plan at least :)

Longun

To be honest I found doing it by ear and how it feels when it revs just to get it setup enough to get to a RR.

It should rev smooth and clean and have no pinking if its slighty over fueling it should be fine to get to a RR.

Richie-Van-GTi

Yeah I am aware of bogg bros but they are snowed under with work and their prices are escalating due to their reputation. Theres a company started doing it in oorthallerton as well now and they use the rollers at motorscope to set them up and it was thier rollers I intended to use, Its just a case of getting it good enouigh. Dont want to book and pay for rollers to find out I need to change the jets etc. Would rather go down with the right jets then just need to tinker with needle heights, fuel pressure and dizzy timing.

mbayley77

Not sure on bike carbs but the cost of jets for webers is so small that as long as its running to go to the RR then as long as the place with the RR has jets available then shouldnt cost much at all (less than a nights drinking easily!)

Richie-Van-GTi

yeah have found the jets are only £8 for 4 but its the hassle of swapping them on bike carbs is the killer if you are paying for the roller time.

Sign in to follow this