• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Mains And Bigend Bearings.....

matty_gti

hi,

This has puzzled me a little, im rebuilding a 1.9 8v and when putting the NEW set of MAIN bearings into the block, i thought rite ok thats 5, now for the other 5 in the caps.....but when i picked up the next bearing for the cap thinking its just going to be smooth inside i pick up another bearing that has the channel in it like the block bearings????? -_- , so i got 6 shells with the channels in them and 4 smooth ones, This cant be right as when i took my 1.6 apart there were 5 of each?

I have 6 of these: http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/mat...mgAnch=imgAnch2

And 4 of these: http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/mat...mgAnch=imgAnch1

'My block', http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/mat...mgAnch=imgAnch1

Im thinking they gave me a wrong set......... :)

Edited by matty_gti

Jer309GTi

Sounds a bit strange to me. I've just rebuilt my Mi bottom end and I had 5 of each as you descibed in my new set

Ryan

The old version of the haynes manual mentions that pug messed about with the bearings over the years, and that the engine they stripped while writing it didn't match any of the official combinations.

matty_gti

oooo i c, so do you think its the right or wrong bearing?

Bonzai

ive got something about this in my haynes, ill try and copy it out for you:

early models (upto serial no: 9 207 534)

bearing no. 1 2 3 4 5

top p g p g p

bottom p p p p p

later models (from serial no: 9 207 535)

bearing no. 1 2 3 4 5

top g p p p g

bottom g p p g g

p = plain, g = grooved

ALEX

Theres something on Puma racings (Dave Baker) website about this.

"Peugeot did a huge amount of messing about over the years with the number and arrangement of plain and grooved main bearing shells, the reasons for which have always eluded me. The Haynes manual comments on the complexity of it all and states that when they stripped their own test engine it didn't even have one of the bearing combinations listed in the official Peugeot charts. Other engines nearly always have 5 grooved bearings in the block and 5 plain in the caps for very good reasons of oil supply to the crank. That's the way I build the Peugeots too, regardless of year, and they run perfectly happily like this of course. Peugeot actually finally settled on this combination anyway for later 8 valve engines and the 16 valve engine. "

Edited by ALEX

Jer309GTi
Theres something on Puma racings (Dave Baker) website about this.

"Peugeot did a huge amount of messing about over the years with the number and arrangement of plain and grooved main bearing shells, the reasons for which have always eluded me. The Haynes manual comments on the complexity of it all and states that when they stripped their own test engine it didn't even have one of the bearing combinations listed in the official Peugeot charts. Other engines nearly always have 5 grooved bearings in the block and 5 plain in the caps for very good reasons of oil supply to the crank. That's the way I build the Peugeots too, regardless of year, and they run perfectly happily like this of course. Peugeot actually finally settled on this combination anyway for later 8 valve engines and the 16 valve engine. "

Thank god for that, got a bit worried by previous posts there. Thought I'd built mine up wrong and had to take it apart again!

matty_gti

Good good, i thort it was 5 plain and 5 grooved. Now to order some more and fit them....

Sign in to follow this