• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest piran21

Big Project

Guest piran21

Ok... here's the situation.

I have a 1989 405 Mi16. The body is not in good shape. Motor is strong and so is the tranny. It has a lot of sentimental value. The interior needs help too. One power window doesn't work, needs a headliner and sunroof cable.

There's a 1989 405 S in good shape for sale. The body is good and everything works except for the A/C.

The plan:

Swap the motor, transmission, leather interior, suspension and breaks over to the S from my Mi16. Is the steering rack the same? Can i drop everything down ie. subframe and just bolt it to the S? How much different is the wiring? are the rear torsion bars different? I think this is better than having to paint my car over and fixing the rust and straightening the rear frame of the car.

Remember, this is Canada, these cars are rare!! So i can't miss this one or else i may not get another chance. Opinions?

B1ack_Mi16
Ok... here's the situation.

I have a 1989 405 Mi16. The body is not in good shape. Motor is strong and so is the tranny. It has a lot of sentimental value. The interior needs help too. One power window doesn't work, needs a headliner and sunroof cable.

There's a 1989 405 S in good shape for sale. The body is good and everything works except for the A/C.

The plan:

Swap the motor, transmission, leather interior, suspension and breaks over to the S from my Mi16. Is the steering rack the same? Can i drop everything down ie. subframe and just bolt it to the S? How much different is the wiring? are the rear torsion bars different? I think this is better than having to paint my car over and fixing the rust and straightening the rear frame of the car.

Remember, this is Canada, these cars are rare!! So i can't miss this one or else i may not get another chance. Opinions?

Just swap the parts over. I guess as long there's servo-steering on the new car there will not be any differences in the steering-racks. Of course you would need to use the piping and punp of the Mi16 though.

Guest piran21

Yeah, that's right. Has anyone found a way to make the 8-valve power steering pump work with a mi16 motor? to clear up the area on the lhd side of the car?

Guest piran21

But everything else should be easy? Wiring??? Can you just drop the subframes?

inferno

some of the early xm 2litre turbos use a HP pump and have aircon on an alloy engine mount bolted to the block,(the type you need an mi16 top mount for 205 conversions.)

It MAY be possible to use this on the mi16 enigne as its the early type also. im pretty sure you could get the pas pump to fit in place of the HP pump with minor mods.

TBH though, if its of so much sentimental value, why not restore it? i would of thought that would be a lot easyer and more rewarding...

Guest piran21

the car was hit in the back... it'd need the frame to get pulled, and both rocker panels need replacing or new metal.

B1ack_Mi16
the car was hit in the back... it'd need the frame to get pulled, and both rocker panels need replacing or new metal.

Don't bother trying to straighten a crashed shell.

I've seen so many of those, including my own 405 Mi16, even when done by local Peugeot dealer they can't get it good.

Move the parts over to the good shell, much better.

Guest piran21

Yeah, i think i'm going to do the move to the good shell too. I just want to know what exactly to be prepared for. I'm going to keep the engine and transmission together. Where are the mounts? Upper right side, Left side, and lower rear. What else? Are the drive shafts the same?

Sign in to follow this