• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Scottieb

New Owner, A Few Questions

Scottieb

Hello all.

I'm running a 1990 1.9 GTI i've had for a week now. Just a few questions for you all:

1. the car wont tick over when it is cold and its also has to turn over quite a few times before it starts, any ideas what might be wrong? even when its hot it cuts out sometimes, the tickover seems very low in general.

2. I'm getting about 220 mile to £35 worth of petrol. is this normal? (quite worrying if it is)

Regards,

Scott

madspikes

Hello and welcome!

The GTi will drink lots of fuel if abused! I think somewhere around the 30mpg mark is about normal depending on what your doing. On the track I expect £30 to last less than 100miles.....

Bad idle is a common problem with the GTi, and it can be a number of things. If you do a seach your turn up 100s of post on this! It could be your SAD (supplementary air device - it allows more air past the throttle when cold, thus incressing idle rpm) or just poor idle adjustment on the throttle, or poor adjustment on the idle switch.... Or a number of other things....

As I said do a seach and if you have no luck or need more detail ask again. I hate saying do a search, but the information is out there....

Mad. :blink:

Sign in to follow this