• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dodsworth_gti

Heaters

dodsworth_gti

the heaters on my 1990 205 gti have packed up,does any one know where to start to finding the problem??

thanks

ben

Bassman
the heaters on my 1990 205 gti have packed up,does any one know where to start to finding the problem??

thanks

ben

Do you mean there is no heat as in a heater matrix problem or the blower is not working?

If it is the blower motor, that is simple. Stick your head under the glovebox and you should see it. Three screws and it drops out (no need to remove half the car as the Haynes manual suggests). They can be cleaned up and re-greased, but if it is not working at all it may be a wiring problem.

If the motor is blowing but no heat, then it may well be a blocked heater matrix. You can initially try bleeding the air out of the system (if there is any to bleed). There should be some bleed nipples in the engine bay (only done this on a 405 soo I can't be more specific on the 205). A full coolant flush would be a good idea, try and get a hose to flush through the matrix itself.

Is the car running at the right temperature, it could be the thermostat is stuck open and the system is running cooler than it should be. You are looking for around 85-90oC when the car has warmed up.

Failing all that a replacement matrix may be the only answer, which may be a dash-board off job, certainly wasn't easy on the 405, but fixed my problem. If you do replace the matrix, make sure you order some new o-rings from Peugeot as they are a funny size (on the 405 anyway) and I couldn't get any aftermarket ones to fit.

If the car is in daily use, get it fixed asap becuase my 405 was bad enough in winter, but a 205 would be freezing! I changed my matrix last February when there was snow on the ground, I never want to playing with a hose-pipe in sub-zero conditions again!!

j_turnell

A search is always good..... Generally its one of three things.

The bearings in the blower have seized.

The Rehostat, variable resistor, is broke.

The wire mechanism behind the heater knobs is bust / or metal contacts..

From my experience its the first two that are generally the culprit.

dodsworth_gti

car is running at right temp,sometimes she has a little squeel when turned on!!

i belive it could be electrics to be honest as one minute they were working,i parked the car up over night,then they wernt lol

whats a rehostat??

j_turnell

Its what controls the different speeds on the fan, if the fan squeels then you could do with another blower as thats the bearings making that noise. A dodgy rehostat could cause the intermitant problem.

dodsworth_gti

ok cheers,so where abouts is the blower on 205's??

j_turnell

As i said in my first post mate a search will reveal all.

Sign in to follow this