• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petesy71

Poor Idle And Air Leaks

petesy71

hi, i've been reading a lot of posts on idling problems, and one mentioned the screw holding the oil filler to the inlet manifold. i had a look today and discovered this hole and was wondering is it the one that was mentioned?

pic1td8.th.jpg

pic2vk9.th.jpg

with the engine running i can hear air rushing into this hole,however when i cover it up the car stalls, leading me to think that it's something else.

any help much appreciated,thanks, pete.

welshpug

if the throttle stop or air screw have been adjusted to compensate for the airleak it will stall when you remove the leaf, stick a suitable bolt in it and unsrew the air screw on the throttle body to achieve a suitable idle speed.

You may well find that you need to adjust the air flow meter a little to compensate as it would have been adjusted higher to compensate as well.

petesy71
if the throttle stop or air screw have been adjusted to compensate for the airleak it will stall when you remove the leaf, stick a suitable bolt in it and unsrew the air screw on the throttle body to achieve a suitable idle speed.

You may well find that you need to adjust the air flow meter a little to compensate as it would have been adjusted higher to compensate as well.

thanks welshpug, is the afm easy to adjust?

welshpug

yes, but best to leave it till you find a friendly garage with a gastester, its just a 5mm allen key.

basically set the throttle to spec, then adust air screw till its idling at roughly 900 rpm, then set afm. (CO% at idle should be 1.5 but anything up to 3% is acceptable for MOT purposes, lower than 1.5% and itll be a bit lean, higher and it'll be a bit rich and thirsty)

petesy71

thanks a lot for the info mate, pete.

Sign in to follow this