• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gtiracer

My Oil Leak

Gtiracer

Hi guys, the oil has been leaking on my Pug for a little while now so havent been driving it, having been sitting for a few days i can see the fresh patches on the floor where it is coming from although cannot get under the car to have a look at the moment, its definatrely coming from the back of the engine, more than likely the sump area so im suspecting it to be the sump gasket but when doing some research i'vwe noticed that some of you don't even fit the gaskets and can potentially make the leaks worse? SO im a bit confused on this point.

Also what i would like to know if there are many potential points on the lower part of the back of the engine where it could come from or common faults at least anyway.

Thanks guys in advance

Bally

firstly determine if it is gearoil or engine oil

ablister

back of the engine can be sump as said or maybe headgasket. It's perfectly normal for sumps not to have a gasket, most cars nowadays don't have them and just use sealer

welshpug

dizzy end cam seal, rocker cover, rocker cover bolts (the copper washers that they bolt down onto) headgasket, dipstick seal (where it fits in the tube) drivesaft seals on the gearbox, flywheel end crank seal.

Loads!

Gtiracer
dizzy end cam seal, rocker cover, rocker cover bolts (the copper washers that they bolt down onto) headgasket, dipstick seal (where it fits in the tube) drivesaft seals on the gearbox, flywheel end crank seal.

Loads!

Damn, thats what i was worrying - I know its engine oil because its very low now all of a sudden. what i didnt mention before is that there is two spots that have come out, so what i'm most concerned about is that i have two leaks, either that or it is a knackered seal around the sump and leaking in two places.

Or I suppose that it could be leaking from one place higher up and its dripping down onto something which is splitting the direction the way the oil goes giving me two patches on the ground - what a nightmare!

Guess i better get it up on some ramps if i can.

Edited by Gtiracer

Richie-Van-GTi

I always find easiest way is to clean the oil of the engine so you can see any fresh oil trails down the block.

Grim.Badger

I'd be surprised if the sump gasket is leaking as it makes a very good seal, although sealant between the spacer and block on the 1.9 can be a bit more ropey.

My money would be on dipstick (the dipstick should be snug in it's tube), dizzy seal (put your hand around and under the back of the dizzy, you'd have oil all down the back of the engine), or rocker cover gasket (oil running down the block). These should be the easiest to check and you can do it without jacking the car up :)

Gtiracer

nope, its definately low down, put my arm as far as i could rech down from the top and no evidence of any oil. looked the engine again, definately oil on the back of the sump and possibly a bit higher but just cannot rech under there to find out

oli-pug

this dizzy end cam seal, i think mines missing all together! not good :o

there seems to be no kind of seal/gasket between my dizzy and head, is it a pug dealer only part?

Grim.Badger
this dizzy end cam seal, i think mines missing all together! not good :o

there seems to be no kind of seal/gasket between my dizzy and head, is it a pug dealer only part?

It's an o-ring type seal that you can get from Pug for about 20p (yes shocking isn't it, but they made billions so the cost is low). You won't be able to see it without removing the dizzy.

It's Number 2 on the diagram.

Edited by Grim.Badger

dd_156ar
It's an o-ring type seal that you can get from Pug for about 20p (yes shocking isn't it, but they made billions so the cost is low). You won't be able to see it without removing the dizzy.

It's Number 2 on the diagram.

It's amazing how much oil can leak from here. I replaced mine and now my driveway doesn't look like an oil tanker has lost it's load on it.

petesy71

mine was dripping oil from both sides of the sump because of a knackered dipstick seal. i got a new dipstick from gsf and no more probs.

Sign in to follow this