• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Quigs

Turbo Engine's

sonofsam

:)

Forgot also you have to mess around with the gear linkages a bit.

peter

Oh yeah but you can just bend them a bit!

Edited by peter

johnrobertgordon

mine did not need bending? why do they need bending?

I have really warmed to this turbo engine, its so easy to get power with and so many different directions to go with it. I would recomend it to anyone.

sonofsam

Well on mine the L shaped bracket would hit on a bit fat bolt head holding the lever for the wastegate actuator.Sneakily though I ground the bolt head down.Removed the ball joint off the lever and welded it to the underside of it.Still had to bend one of the rods to make it work though.

Yep, just like my old 1.9 8v, except with a firecracker up it's 'arris

Quigs

well i now have the xm at home and i'm ready to start taking the engine out.

just wondering what you mean by making sure the ecu is unlocked before i take the engine?? (how do i unlock it)

it's the xm engine with the key pad, i think the car is m reg hard to tell it's got isle of man plates on it.

Quigs

jackherer

start the engine in the XM and unplug the keypad with the engine still running. The ECU will now not lock as it gets the signal to do so from the keypad when the ignition is turned off.

Discostu

Since my Mi16 decided to self destruct i am interested in going the 2.0 turbo route. Hopefully picking an engine up from a 1998 Xantia Activa tomoz :(

Just a few questions if someone could answer them for me:

By extending the bottom engine mount 10-15mm the angle of the engine is obviously altered, does this cause any oil surge issues like the mi16 conversion?

Do i HAVE to modify my bulkhead to clear the exhaust? Is there anyway around this?

Thanx in advance

jim21070

Another vote from me on what a gem of an engine it is. I run mine in an Activa though and intend to continue to do so :( Torque by the bucketful and a wolf in sheeps clothing if ever there was one.

Out of interest, how does one unlock the late Phase II ECU with the key transponder?

A plea if I may. Anyone breaking an Activa for the engine please bear in mind that crazed souls like me would like to know and have a chance for some bits before the remains are consigned to the scrappies. We are especially after the hydraulic bits, particularly the Activa rams and every other bit of Activa-specific hydraulic gubbins. This stuff is getting rare now and those of us who have these strange Cits cry every time one gets scrapped.

Many thanks, Drop me a PM as I know other Activa owners who too will be interested.

sonofsam
Since my Mi16 decided to self destruct i am interested in going the 2.0 turbo route. Hopefully picking an engine up from a 1998 Xantia Activa tomoz :)

Just a few questions if someone could answer them for me:

By extending the bottom engine mount 10-15mm the angle of the engine is obviously altered, does this cause any oil surge issues like the mi16 conversion?

Do i HAVE to modify my bulkhead to clear the exhaust? Is there anyway around this?

Thanx in advance

I think you can use a modified bulkhead at your own discretion. I know I did it,

but im pretty sure there are others who havn't touched the bulkhead. Although this is what your up against.

DVC01235.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the oil surge thing.

Discostu

Thanx Sam :) will trial fit the engine and take a look what needs doing for myself

Picked it up today, its from an Activa and has covered 81k miles:

turboengine1.jpg

turboengine2.jpg

Discostu

Does anybody have any pictures of where they have they're intercooler mounted?

I read that a 2wd Cosworth intercooler can be made to fit and still retain the standard fan and shroud, how is this possible? Thanx Stu

Mikey S
Does anybody have any pictures of where they have they're intercooler mounted?

I read that a 2wd Cosworth intercooler can be made to fit and still retain the standard fan and shroud, how is this possible? Thanx Stu

will be doing this to mine next weekand as far as i know if you want to retain the standard grill you have to drop the radiator right down or use a small one.

im going for the 'chuck grill in the bin and have it stickin out the front' look! :)

Discostu

Take some photos of u'r handywork if u would please.

I'm going to try and retain the standard grille but its still nice to see what ideas other people have come up with :)

david932
will be doing this to mine next weekand as far as i know if you want to retain the standard grill you have to drop the radiator right down or use a small one.

im going for the 'chuck grill in the bin and have it stickin out the front' look! :ph34r:

warwickshire hey :lol: you'll have to give us a pm when your done. would love to see this in action

sonofsam
I'm going to try and retain the standard grille but its still nice to see what ideas other people have come up with :ph34r:

This is the idea I came up with, it sits in behind the bumper and valance,

and infront of the radiator cowling. Didn't need to drop anything to fit.

The inlet/outlet pipes go underneath the front cross-member :lol:

DSC00138adj.jpg

Mikey S

will take some photos of the finished article no probs.

should 'hopefully' be done and taxed for the end of march, so anyone is welcome to come and have a look.

will be starting a new thread next monday as im starting the conversion then on mine and my brothers! fingers crossed 2 turbo's, 1 week! :ph34r::lol:

Edited by pugger

inferno

hmmm 2 turbos one week... dont you have a job?!

Discostu
This is the idea I came up with, it sits in behind the bumper and valance,

and infront of the radiator cowling. Didn't need to drop anything to fit.

The inlet/outlet pipes go underneath the front cross-member :)

DSC00138adj.jpg

I like that Sam, can see that working well. May i ask what intercooler it is?

One other question - after stripping the engine today i noticed the head bolts are very thick in comparison to mi16, gti 8v bolts. Are they stretch bolts and do they need replacing?

Mikey S

One other question - after stripping the engine today i noticed the head bolts are very thick in comparison to mi16, gti 8v bolts. Are they stretch bolts and do they need replacing?

yes they are stretch and will need replacing. there 12mm and iirc gti are 10mm.

inferno, wifes away so about the only time i have to do it without her moaning! :)

jim21070

That intercooler would be a good mod on the Xantia. I hate the fact that the standard one is sandwiched tightly between the aircon condenser and the rad so that nothing ends up adequately cooled :)

Looks awful tiny though or is that just the camera angle?

sonofsam

Does look small in that picture doesn't it!

It comes from a Toyota MR2Turbo.

Sign in to follow this