• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Quigs

Turbo Engine's

Quigs

Hi All

i've done a search but not finding what i want.

What turbo engines can i put in a 205??

also what car's will i find them in, i know they done a xantia turbo,

and also what sort of power figures am i looking at.

cheers Quigs

sonofsam

Hi

406 SRI, 605, Citroen XM also

Earlier engines (RGY)-engine code ~140hp

Later engines ( RGX )~150hp, but its not all about HP as you get bag loads of Torque..and that is fun:D

Edited by sonofsam

Quigs

are they all roughly the same engine as in they are all 8v.

i just fancy something different, i already have a 205Mi16.

cheers Quigs

sonofsam

Yeh they are basically the same engine and yes 8 valves.

Quigs

the only 16v would be the T16 i guess??

how hard is the 8v turbo conversion??

i done the Mi16 conversion in 10 hours on my own.

Quigs

TEKNOPUG

Wiring is a bitch.

Quigs
Wiring is a bitch.

lol, but apart from that? much more work than the Mi16??

Quigs

inferno

not really, wiring is pretty simple. what ive found the hardest, or more time consuming, is the positioning of the intercooler and pipework for it.

also theres issues on some cars where the brake servo needs angling slightly. then theres the mix and match of engine mounts depending on the year of the engine, and finding an mi16 flywheel if your using an auto turbo doner.IMO the 8v turbo is a good drivable conversion with bags of tourqe and many tuning possibilitys... the 16v head drops straight on the 8v engines bottom end for instance :)

i dont believe the search found nothing as the subject been covered many times.

a point to note when finding an engine, the earlyer xms suffered from cracked turbo housings, youll see a sooty line if its cracked.if it hasnt cracked already though the chances are it wont in the future.

sonofsam

Its a bloody great driveable conversion IMO of course :) With impeccable road manners and a complete

whore when you want it to be lol

Wiring is a bitch.
Na, thats just a vicious rumour lol

Worst part is modifying all the bloody water/coolant pipes.Looking into getting a set made up

Trust me I've been to 20psi and back...and its lunacy B)

tom_m

Earlier engines (RGY)-engine code ~140hp - 8:1 compression

Later engines ( RGX )~150hp - 8.5:1 compression

both low enough to have large amounts of boost shoved down their throats!!! B) (with the appropriate fuelling and cooling of course! :))

Edited by tom_m

sonofsam

Yep.Think under bonnet temperatures should be addressed too.My strut brace gets hot enough to cook a sausage or two on :)

inferno

ford chav style bonnet risers? 20psi... id expect it to get hot! whats your spec sam? does it hold 20psi or was that just the amal valve being anal?!

tom_m

biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig vents :)

sonofsam

Cool Louvres stamped bonnet soon and ducts in the driving light apertures;)

Er..Yeh 20psi with knackered or stuck boost solenoid.It held ok, but then I didn't drive it like that for long:D

Running an MBC at the moment till i can get a new valve.

TEKNOPUG

Try 6.5k in 5Th for about 5minutes then youll know all about heat!!

johnrobertgordon

Yea i'll go with that, i had to put the heaters on cold to dtop my feet catching fire!

Ant

I found the wiring easy - I got stuck on a couple of wires and that was it. But mine ( 605 loom ) had all the wiring numbers stamped on them, much like an mi16 loom. According to hilgie most dont ? ? So i just matched up the numbers. The only issue i had was that the turbo had 2 temp gauge wires and the 205 had one.

I agree with inferno though. IC pipework is a bitch. I wanted my IC behind the grill, so i had to fabricate a few pipes. That took a lot longer than the wiring.

Oh and they run HOT !!!. i sooo need to get vents, as it runs at 3/4 gauge when i put my foot down.

Ive got an Mi16 CTi and a 205 GTi turbo and i soo love the turbo, although a lot of people here prefere the MI16..

max0

cant wait to finish the build of this :)

post-7868-1161968024_thumb.jpg

post-7868-1161968037_thumb.jpg

sonofsam

Well stop fannying around with the paint and get it on in there B):) You wont see much of that once its installed anyway!

max0
Well stop fannying around with the paint and get it on in there :lol:B) You wont see much of that once its installed anyway!

Guess what im doin all 2moz :D:):D

Quigs

i've just found an XM Turbo auto local to me, he want's £300 for the whole car (tax and MOT). i think i's L reg put has german plates. and the engine starts first time and runs fine, very clean aswell.

( Has turbo CT on wing)

Sound like a good price??

Is there any thing i should know when doing the conversion?? engine mounts, gear box etc??

thanks for the help

Quigs

sonofsam

Thats a good price:)

Unlock the ECU before you take engine out of car.

Find out what engine code it has that will determine wich top mount you need.Earlier engines require Mi16 top mount were as later ones require 306 XSI/s16 top mount..probably on lots of other cars also

Custom alternator mount.

Gearbox speed sensor.

Lambda probe in exhaust.

reangled or custom downpipe.

Fuel return line extending to miss turbo.

Mi16 throttle cable.

ECU plug lengthening to fit inside car if you wish.

Lower engine mount fork needs extending 10-15mm.

Mi16 flywheel and clutch is needed also 1.9 box is a good choice.

Custom pipework for I/C

So yeh there are a few issues lol...But its all on the Search my Friend.

inferno

sam... same thing happened to me with the amal valve... didnt realise that it would run upto 20psi like that though, kinda explains the 220bhp supercharges civic i took up the a10 on my maiden voyage in the zx! very unpridictable too:P

xm sounds a bargain, the top mount should be obvious... an mi16 one will fit the ally mount engines, and the other type needs the xsi mount

sonofsam

Yeh was a bit crazy Tom.I initially thought that the hose had come off the wastegate actuator!I guess what had happened after a little bit of research is that the solenoid part of the regulator had got stuck, in effect not cutting the boost at 1bar like it should..seems to be a common fault with these EBC's!

Anyway here's how to test one if you ever get the urge: http://www.mx6.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-161230.html

Quigs you may want to ditch the standard exhaust all together and go for a nice free flowing 2.5" affair

peter

I have one of thes engines in my 205 and i can vouch that the realy do shift! Not so much top end but on acceleration very similar to my mates 270bhp 200sx :)

A friend of mine is selling a xantia 2.0 turbo the full car starts first time ect just the exhaust is blowing he only wants £200 for it its an r reg and quite clean too and i have a spare newish mi16 clutch fly wheel and engine mount to fit it to the 205.The conversion isnt that hard at all,and you can get away without tilting the engine,The water pipes are easy to modify and with the xm boost pipes you can use a small intercooler (about 18"x8") lines up with the throtle body and the other end with the original pipework, dont realy need to modify them at all.

Edited by peter

Sign in to follow this