• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brianthemagical

Stud Coversion

brianthemagical

interested in doing the above, couple of Q's. is it just a case of getting some threaded rod, cutting it to the right length, screwing it in then getting some suitible nuts? i would have thought the studs would move when the nuts were put on. thanks.

boldy205

you would have to fix the studs onto the hub with weld or somthing.

brianthemagical

sound, that though crossed my mind but i didn't think it was that simple. thanks.

boldy205

im not totaly sure it is! i know Skip Brown do a conversion kit,have a look on their website/phone them up (allways v helpfull!)

Ryan

Threadlock is enough to hold the studs into the hub. The bolts don't need to be done up to 1000lbft or anything like that so the studs should stay in fine.

I'm not sure about using threaded bar, is it strong enough? The threads in the hub are M12x1.25 which is a wierd size so you'd probably have a hard time finding threaded bar in that size anyway.

pug_ham

Skip Brown use the Peugeotsport studs conversion.

The bar need's to be heat treated for use as studs, normal mild steel bar isn't strong enough for this imo.

You'd have to buy the flat faced nuts so you might as well get a full proper kit.

Graham.

brianthemagical

i realise that i need something stronger then mild steel, just not sure what and didn't want to go into detail too much on materials. as regards to the nuts i think i've got a catologue somewhere with different wheel nuts in so that was another piece of the puzzle. thanks for the help, i think buying the kit will probably be best.

Hilgie

Using a threaded bar and cutting that to size is a real bodge and dangerous too.

Just buy a complete stud conversion package and you'll immediately notice the difference.

Sign in to follow this