• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest KIWIPUG

Are These Pipes Supposed To Be Blocked With A Screw?

Guest KIWIPUG

Hi, first time poster so be nice to me :ph34r:

Anyway, couple days ago I found a pipe coming from the throttle body which was short and was blocked off with a screw. It's right underneath the throttle body so its kinda hard to see. I'm not too intelligent went it comes to engines but I have a sneaky suspicion that its got something to do with the vacuum advance.

I also found, on the engine block, a bolt that looks like its just blocking a hole where a hose might be.

Anyway, check out the pics i took, and it'll be clear what im on about.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...98_105_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...98_106_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...98_103_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...98_104_full.jpg

It would be appreciated if someone would enlighten me to what these blocked off pipes are.

ps. My car is a 1990 1.9L GTI

huzzer

Hi. Dont worry about these pipes. They are for throttle body cooling. They are disconeccted on my 1.9 aswell and on most other peoples I believe.

jackherer

actually they are for throttle body warming, not cooling! Its to prevent it icing up in cold climates, in the UK they aren't really needed, in New Zealand they are a total joke, you really don't need them!

Miles

One of them could be the take off for the vac advance of the dizzy as in the first pic, the hole should go into the T/B for this

the screw in the head is just a air bleed point

Rob_the_Sparky

At teh top of the hills in New Zealand I believe it is quite cold (certainly cold enough for ski resorts) so I suspect that it isn't such a joke...

Also the result of an iced up throttle may not be a joke either although I would agree that it is pretty unlikely to happen given the heat conduction from the block via the inlet manifold.

lagonda

I think your last 2 pictures show the thermostat housing, in which case the bolt there has been used to replace a stupid plastic plug which you're meant to release to bleed air from the cooling system. We have over 100 years of development history for cars, yet manufacturers still put crap on them which any berk can see is clearly not up to the job. Hey ho.

Rob_the_Sparky

Sorry, I didn't even look at the piccies, you are right that is a bodge to replace the crap original bleed screw. The older cars had plastic bleed screws that snaped almost immediately. Replacement parts are a brass allen key bolts with a drilling. Better but still easy to damage if you aren't careful.

petesy71

i was worrying about the same thing myself as i have a hose that goes from underneath the throttle body to under the distributor, attached to nothing. is this the same thing?

1zv6.th.jpg

2ky8.th.jpg

hose in question is the blue one in the pics. i was also wondering what's cable tied to the strut brace?

thanks.

t16ryan

HAHA never seen i wet coil mounted like that before haha, looking at your engine its the phase 2 it should have had the dry coil on the inlet and some1 has swapped it to the older wet coil and mounted it nicely lol. :lol:

petesy71
HAHA never seen i wet coil mounted like that before haha, looking at your engine its the phase 2 it should have had the dry coil on the inlet and some1 has swapped it to the older wet coil and mounted it nicely lol. :lol:

any point in fitting a dry coil in the correct place?

t16ryan
any point in fitting a dry coil in the correct place?

yes it looks alot neater, the wiring is proper so will just plug in ( instead of cutting the plug off and connecting the wires to the coil), and you wont have a coil cable tied to your strut brace :lol:

petesy71
yes it looks alot neater, the wiring is proper so will just plug in ( instead of cutting the plug off and connecting the wires to the coil), and you wont have a coil cable tied to your strut brace :lol:

i notice you have one for sale, any chance of posting to n.ire with instructions for mounting? ta.

t16ryan

can do it for £17 inc P&P to northern ireland :lol: may be able to get a coil plug so you can just link the wires i will have a look for a old phase 2 loom :D

petesy71
can do it for £17 inc P&P to northern ireland :lol: may be able to get a coil plug so you can just link the wires i will have a look for a old phase 2 loom :D

if its just a case of linking the wires i would definately be interested. thanks mate.

Guest KIWIPUG

sweet as, thanks for all your replies!

It does snow on the mountains, and some towns on the South Island.

BTW is there anyone on here that is in New Zealand?

V8Pete
BTW is there anyone on here that is in New Zealand?

Yes :lol:

Guest KIWIPUG
:lol: awesome to see another new zealander on here. sent PM

Rob_the_Sparky
i was worrying about the same thing myself as i have a hose that goes from underneath the throttle body to under the distributor, attached to nothing. is this the same thing?

1zv6.th.jpg

2ky8.th.jpg

hose in question is the blue one in the pics. i was also wondering what's cable tied to the strut brace?

thanks.

The blue pipe may be a water pipe but ist could also be the vacuum advance pipe. These often fall off the vac advance unit, although it looks a bit large so more likely a water pipe.

petesy71
The blue pipe may be a water pipe but ist could also be the vacuum advance pipe. These often fall off the vac advance unit, although it looks a bit large so more likely a water pipe.

thanks for the info rob, and for the thread kiwipug.

Guest KIWIPUG
thanks for the info rob, and for the thread kiwipug.

:blink: no worries

KRISKARRERA

I thought New Zealand climate was similar to the UK, least looks that way in the BAD TASTE film :lol:

Ruskyruss
ok, was looking around trying to get to the starter motor, and saw this

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...98_107_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...98_108_full.jpg

so there were TWO blocked off pipes coming from the throttle body. So if one of them is the warming one, then whats the other?

Sorry to bring up an old thread :)

I expect one was for power steering vacuum

Sign in to follow this