• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
inferno

Rear Engine 205 Using Fwd Running Gear

inferno

As above, can anybody advise on how the handling would be altered if i mount a gti engine with 309 wishbones/shafts, in the boot of a cti?

pug_life

depends how you set it up, it "could" be a very pokey motor with a nice level of grip, or it could handle like a pig and be alot of hard work to create a car that would make a fiatpanda look like an F1 car...

inferno

ill be fitting it so as to keep the same wheel base as a 205 with 309 setup, so

would the engine in standard position in relation the wheels, mean id just need to play with the suspension and geometry to set it up?would this be with standard equipment or am i going to need aftermarket ajustable parts?

or are we talking changing the position/angle of the engine ect to make it work better?

the gti engine is just to get it running and setup and road legel. afterwards more or less any engine should fit with miner mods;)

Edited by inferno

pdd144c

Why the f*** would you want to do that?!

Batfink

would it actually fit? Not a lot of space for an engine and radiator system in the CTI

You would definitly need to have custom suspension to match the new weight distribution - someone like leda who can get the car on cornerweights and choose a spring rate accordingly

inferno
Why the f*** would you want to do that?!

Because i can?

scrap cti here to mess around with, plasma cutter on order, and welding/fabrication is my first trade :ph34r:

no doubts ill MAKE it fit, just concerned that handling would be an issue, and if it is id need to know its fixable.

mfield

Rear Engine 205 Using Fwd Running Gear.

how would it handle?

probably the same answer to ....

My dog has no nose.

How does it smell ?

GLPoomobile

If you are concerned with the handling then the CTi is probably not the best starting point. If you have it lying around then go for it just for the hell of it, but you could be making the CTi's handling pitfalls worse.

Dream Weaver

Ask yourself how many rear engined FWD cars are in existance, especially for motorsport purposes and you should find your answer!!

Batfink

i think it would be rear engined and RWD lol

and then you would have to compare it to an old Porsche 911

It will like to swap ends a lot unless some serious work is done to sort the suspension

willxs

doesnt he mean using the front running gear and stick it all in the boot? so have rear engine rear wheel drive?

or am i reading it wrong?

smckeown
and then you would have to compare it to an old Porsche 911

It will like to swap ends a lot unless some serious work is done to sort the suspension

Yeah and how long did it take porsche to fix the handling on that.

calvinhorse
Yeah and how long did it take porsche to fix the handling on that.

im sure inferno has a couple of million to spend developing it...

Guest LCR

sounds like a cool idea leave the rads, battery etc in the front pop the tank in there and the weight balance should be fairly good,

it would be more like an elise as they basically use a fwd engine and box in the back. a 911 engine site way behind the transaxle apposed to sitting in between the wheels.

smckeown
sounds like a cool idea leave the rads, battery etc in the front pop the tank in there and the weight balance should be fairly good,

Hey you should get a job with lamborghini (a.l.a. Miura) ;)

Batfink

it wouldnt cost millions to try different spring rates, antirollbar settings (or whether the setup needs a rear antirollbar at all), then if using some top quality coilovers - bump and rebound settings, caster and maybe even look at the effects of camber (with 309 and 205 wishbones)

A decent company will be able to set up the coilover heights as well to control weighttransfer etc.

But as you would be doing this to a CTI its definity a road car and serious compromises may have to be made.

Its certainly possible to get it handling well but it may take a bit of trial and error and really needs someone to know what they are doing - which negates everyone on this site.

Build the basic car then pay for someone to work on the suspension setup

maturin23

Come on guys - don't be to hard on him!

Plenty of people are doing rwd & rear engine conversions on minis.

The old rear/mid engined R5 Gordini did pretty well too.

Baz

Martin@PRD is putting an engine in the back (obviously) in his twin v6 build, so would possibly be a similar setup.

Guest LCR

thinking about there are loads of cars that have done this, most consider themself mid engined although they are not in the true sence

mr2

mgf

elise

5 turbo2

sport spider

amacmotor31068580246_jpg.jpg

you can see how far a 911 engine sits behind the back wheels (the driveshaft comes out under the starter)

maturin23

Don't forget the V6 Clio - another rear/mid success!

stu_woac

for the cti it would be nice to get the hybusa engine as it will sit in the sapce in the boot they are not lagre engines like the gti one is and light too

inferno

sorry i did mean using fwd engine/box/wheels arrangement in the back... not a rear engine FWD!!!!

ok yet another project come to a standstill... it will happen one day... but for now... a 54k miles cabby needing tlc, to the tune of a new hood and interior where its got wet... i feel would benifit more from a resoration!

Ive had it a week and not even looked at it, thinking the floor was rotton, not a spot of rust on it and drives like a new car.

i dont know weather to be happy or sad about this !

niklas

I wouldn't say it's impossible to get it right. But if you are not experienced in calculating on suspension geometry and wheel rates, then you should team up with someone who is!

However just melting it all together without any form of theory behind it will for sure be a disaster!

And while you are in there anyway you can spend some melting skills on sorting the front suspension too!

If the engine goes away there are plenty of space to increase the angle of the suspension turrets; to add both castor and a more healthy camber-gain.

Guest rick03054
ok yet another project come to a standstill... it will happen one day... but for now... a 54k miles cabby needing tlc, to the tune of a new hood and interior where its got wet... i feel would benifit more from a resoration!

Ive had it a week and not even looked at it, thinking the floor was rotton, not a spot of rust on it and drives like a new car.

i dont know weather to be happy or sad about this !

I must confess to the complete absence of a surprised look on my face at the moment :D

I reckon you should stick the engine in the back but pointing backwards, drive around looking out the rear screen, if you can't get it to handle properly at least you could get a few laughs out of it! :lol:

Sign in to follow this