• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy309goodwood

Help Req'd With A Turbo Q

Guest andy309goodwood

right i have been keeping an eye out for a cheep sorce of a gt28r turbo for my project

i have come accross this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...UK%3A1&rd=1

add says for a gt28r with a 60/63 spec how ever the pics are of a nissan gt28

serveral emails later i have manged to get some sense out of them

there replys quoted

"these are GT28R as they are ball bearing unlike the standard nissan turbos!"

"these turbos are produced in japan as garrett replicas, and we are given the spec which we have written down! please call our store to order"

has anybody delt with ultimate velocity before

and does any one have any opinions on these turbo's as im very seriously thinking of getting one

any and all coments welcome

and cheers in antisipation

andy

TEKNOPUG

You should be able to get a proper Garrett one for similar money if you shop around. I wouldn't bother with copies if I was you.

sonofsam

Hi Andy,

Do you know what, i nearly purchsed one of them myself from that very same company(was feeling a bit flush at the time, not any more:(

Even quizzed a fellow Forum member about it:)

Be interested to see what comes up about that Turbo.

have a feeling some-one will say..'hang on a bit. and get a Pukka Garrett' :)

johnrobertgordon

I have also read bad things about badly made chineese replicas.

pdd144c
You should be able to get a proper Garrett one for similar money if you shop around. I wouldn't bother with copies if I was you.

From where?! Doubt you'll ever get a proper Garrett one for anywhere near that price.

tom_m

if it does what it says on the tin, its a lot of turbo for not much money, onthe other hand, its a lot of money to gamble.

try looking through their ebay feedback and email anyone who had bought one? have they got any negative feedback for supply dodgy turbos?

my garrett is a rebuild and cost more than that!

TEKNOPUG
From where?! Doubt you'll ever get a proper Garrett one for anywhere near that price.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant...tegory_Code=GRT

£400 for a "copy" of a GT28R which by their own admission "has never been tried or installed" or a genuine Garrett GT28R for £497......it's a no-brainer surely?! :)

It's gotta be a false economy buying cheap copies.....

pug_life

go to turbonetics in the states, guy at work had a beetle dragster running a T60 turbo which cost him just under £1100 shipped from states including taxes etc :)

getting them from america is cheaper and turbonetics know their stuff :)

tom_m
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant...tegory_Code=GRT

£400 for a "copy" of a GT28R which by their own admission "has never been tried or installed" or a genuine Garrett GT28R for £497......it's a no-brainer surely?! :ph34r:

It's gotta be a false economy buying cheap copies.....

go to turbonetics in the states, guy at work had a beetle dragster running a T60 turbo which cost him just under £1100 shipped from states including taxes etc :D

getting them from america is cheaper and turbonetics know their stuff :D

plus shipping, (apt charge a lot!) plus the tax man's chunk when it lands over here, buying from the states works out just as expensive as buying from somewhere like AET Turbos based here in the UK

Ryan

The Japanese do make some good copies which can be perfectly reliable. Unfortunately there are loads of dodgy Chinese copies too which aren't worth their weight in scrap, and which are likely to have "made in Japan" stamped on them to hide their origin.

Guest andy309goodwood

lol at atp turbo nearly got one from them back in jan

whish i did now as it worked out at £407 inc delivery doh

still undecided

woundering about taking a risk worst case senario iv got one to exchange then lol

tom m just been looking thro your photo bucket where did you get your turbo from and does that v ring adapter look any good reason i ask is iv had a S/S plate made up 10mm thick that i was planing on welding a zosrt to but also incorperating a screemer pipe to join the main zorts about half way down how ever that v ring adapter looks a much easyer way of doing it also giving you an ajustable joint hummm

cheers andy

tom_m

i got my turbo from ebay. a bloke with a 200sx was selling it to fund his track 180sx.

its from Turbo Dynamics

the v-band adapter looks like it will be fine, its not put together yet so i don't know for sure, but it should make building the down pipe a lot easier :ph34r: it has been commented it won't be the most efficient type of outlet for the turbo, but at 3in diameter its way bigger than is necessary so it should be fine.

Edited by tom_m

Henry Yorke

I paid just over that for my brand new Garrett T25 from Garrett as fitted to the 406 SRI as standard. Retail on it was over £1100.

Some of the comments seem to indicate that there are some crap eBay turbo's out there

Sam

American eBay is your best bet, you could pick up a proper Garrett GT28R for $800, why not get the RS :lol:

maxi

What is the difference between the straight forward 'R' and the 'RS'? I take it the RS is roller bearing?

Maxi

Ryan

The RS has a bigger compressor and can hold more boost than the R. Obviously a big more laggy though.

Both are roller bearing afaik.

Sam

Aren't they ball bearing?

tom_m
Aren't they ball bearing?

yup both gt28r and gt28rs are ball bearing

the rs is also known as the 'disco potato' don't ask me why, i don't have a clue!

Edited by tom_m

maxi
yup both gt28r and gt28rs are ball bearing

the rs is also known as the 'disco potato' don't ask me why, i don't have a clue!

BUT.....the question is..........are ball bearing turbos the same as roller bearing turbos??

Maxi

Sam

They're not the same. A roller bearing is a completely different bearing type to a ball bearing.

tom_m
BUT.....the question is..........are ball bearing turbos the same as roller bearing turbos??

Maxi

AFAIK garrett don't make turbos with roller bearings, they are either journal or ball bearings.

ball bearings produce way less friction than journal bearings reducing turbo lag, and they are less suceptable to being fried by hot oil sitting in the tubby.

maxi
They're not the same. A roller bearing is a completely different bearing type to a ball bearing.

Roller bearing turbos are the ones to have, less fricitonal losses which helps with lag, turbo can spin up quicker and easier.

Maxi

Sam

What makes you say that. First time I've heard someone say it?

Edited by Sam

sonofsam
This Garrett produced turbo has their bullet proof roller bearing core which will allow the user to virtually pick the boost level they want to run but also dramatically reduces lag and speeds up spool up time. The roller bearing T28 will run upto 300bhp comfortably and can be pushed to 330bhp

-S14 Garrett 320bhp T28 ball bearing turbo.

Sounds good to me:)

Sign in to follow this