• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest woll

Bad Knocking....

Guest woll

Hey,

I think I should have replaced the front wheel bearings a while back as I was getting a bad noise coming from the o/s/f wheel. Anyway, still never got round to it and the noise seemed to stop...But now, there is a really bad knocking noise coming from the front but can't tell which side, seems to be both and you can feel it vibrating through the floot. It doesn't seem to do it though when I let off the throttle (not sure if thats relevant).

Does anyone know what this is as it doesn't really feel that safe to drive at the moment....

Thanks guys

Oli

luggy

What work have you done to the front suspension/drive system?. What sort of state are the CV rubber boots in?. If its progressively getting worse its sounds like possible CV joint is on its way out, is it particularly noisy around certain corners or is it constant?.

Luggy

Guest woll
What work have you done to the front suspension/drive system?. What sort of state are the CV rubber boots in?. If its progressively getting worse its sounds like possible CV joint is on its way out, is it particularly noisy around certain corners or is it constant?.

Luggy

Thanks for your quick reply. I know that one of the CV boots was done when I bought the car and the car had been lowered by the guy I bought it off. It was at first happening just when I was turning the wheel left but it seems to be either way now and in a straight line.

If it is a CV joint, is that an expensive bill? I have very basic mechanical skills but am not afraid to have a go myself at certain jobs but not sure about this one.

Edited by woll

luggy

First you need to ID which side the noise is coming from. Then either go to a breaker like cleanspares or Auto factor like GSF for a new drive shaft, Second hand will cost you about £20 new one probably about £70-80 with £20-25 surcharge, and get youself a haynes manual, work from that, any probs do a search on here or if you cant find the answer then ask.

Sign in to follow this