• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
easypug

[trackday_prep] Start Of A New Project..

easypug

Finally found a suitable non sunroof shell to start my project with, i should be collecting it tomorrow so will get some better pictures and include a little run down of whats what. Basic plans so far is to get an Mi in asap then start from there, i've got a little collection of parts that will be going on some day but will update as and when things happen. :)

Let the project begin! :)

Ben Allen

Dave, I am genuinely disappointed that you aren't making use of 'le shed' to turn into your track car :)

pj838

What about the tow bar :) how is it attached, easy to get off?

jim21070
What about the tow bar :D how is it attached, easy to get off?

Ye gads :) 12N and 12S electrics on the towbar too. Surely no one in their right mind has tried to tow a caravan behind it :)

I'd be interested in the towbar for the 205 Junior if it becomes available and I streess I don't want it for towing a caravan, just my little box trailer. I have a very capable Xantia for the caravan towing duties :)

cybernck

if you could take some pics from under the car to show how it's attached, that would be cool too :).

Alastairh

Ahhh the Miami from mk off ebay.

looking good.

maxi

I spotted this on ebay too and nearly had a bid but one thing put me off, the fact it must have had a replacement wing at some time and its starting to rot. If the exterior had rotted like that I was concerned when the wing was replaced the dreaded seal underneath that leads to "THE PHASE 2 ROT PROBLEM" had not been sealed properly either and the inner wing would be hanging!

I take it you guys knew the previous owner?

Maxi

Baz

Ahh!! I was watching that too, although had the usual worries and would've rather seen it first before biting the bullet with a bid.

Keep us posted!! :)

easypug

Well i've collected it now, its abit hit and miss really. From where i've looked so far i'm happy with it, there's a fair amount of surface rust about but nothing major. The eletrics are quite possibly the worst i've ever seen, it needs quite abit of time on that. In all the key area's it seems sound enough though, a good buy.

One thing that has confused me is the interior, it has a complete phase one interior. It also has a BE1 box and a phase 1 wiring loom. Not to bothered about that as such as most of it will come out :). It was dark when i got back so only got a few pics none of which are very good. I'll get some more tomorrow.

Maxi, yes i know the previous owner.

I'll get some pictures of the towbar tomorrow :P

Guest Pugw0t

Very nice, should make a nice lil project. Any ideas of what ur gona do to it? apart from mi16.

Guest BrainFluid
if you could take some pics from under the car to show how it's attached, that would be cool too :).

Heres a pic of one off the car, pretty self explanitory...

post-7792-1161540172.jpg

My 205Td is a great to tow with.

DaveW

The shed should go back to ben;)

easypug

Pugw0t - yep i've got other plans. I'm going to keep them quiet though as things always change. :)

Took a few more pictures today, its just a tad smokey :). Ordered some bits that will hopefully come for the weekend then i can get on with getting it ready for an MOT.

Tasters:

Other images can be found here.

Edited by easypug

28CRAIG

Just need the orange paint now :)

easypug

Ok little update, now parts have started arriving i thought i'd post up here to help motivate myself some how. Got a nice list of things i need to do:

Fit 309 GTi wishbones and driveshafts (also fit poly bushes)

Fit group N top mount rubbers and new bearings

Fit new drop links

Fit Sparco seat and harness

Fit 309 rear beam (although might rebuild first)

Fit new steering wheel :(

Install roll cage (205 parts)

Also got to clean the bloody thing, rebuild Mi16 engine ready to drop in and probably plenty of other things i've forgotten.

cybernck

we need some pics... :).

Alastairh

Sounding good mate.

At least you've got the famous red shed to run around in and remind you what its all about...

easypug

Some pictures, i'll get some of the cage tomorrow. Nothing exciting really but it shows some progress.

Poly bushes, bearings, group n rubbers and drop links :rolleyes:

309 GTi driveshafts and wishbones :D

Seat and harness :D

Picking up the rear beam tomorrow, once i've taken it off the car thats being broken that is. Then i'll decide whether it will go straight on or rebuild it first. Also i'll hopefully start putting my Mi16 head back together on Sunday although don't think i'm going to have enough time.

easypug

Spent some time on it today. Found the cause of the sqeaking steering to be the drop links so happy to have that cured. Need to bodge/fix the water jets and a horn for the MOT.

Checked the inner wings and am happy with the outcome.

IMGP1991.jpg

De-towbared and partialy striped for now (door cards are also off)

IMGP1998.jpg

and finaly the cage, going to give it a lick of paint before it goes in :D

IMGP1996.jpg

More pictures can be found here.

One interesting thing that came out of today is that it appears the car used to be white. It's been sprayed all over, inside/outside and the engine bay but parts have been missed in places. You can see clearly in the rear 1/4 panals :).

Banjo

I'd say the cars been ring'd then, early wing mounted coil, old expansion tank, p1.5 dash etc.. Aslong as theres no crash damage ie it jigs up ok I wouldn't worrie about it.

Edited by Banjo

Alastairh

Good progress.

Guess your rebuilding the beam now after we pulled it appart yesterday?

Alastair

easypug
Good progress.

Guess your rebuilding the beam now after we pulled it appart yesterday?

Alastair

Yep, thought it would be the best bet. Will be upgrading to 23mm torsion bars and 25mm ARB at the same time. Looking into some dampers at the moment but unsure on which im going to go for.

tom_m

bilstein grp-n tarmac spec jobbies will match the tarmac spec torsion bars, and there very good too :)

Edited by tom_m

easypug
bilstein grp-n tarmac spec jobbies will match the tarmac spec torsion bars, and there very good too :P

Im on the case. :o

MOT is booked for Saturday morning :P

easypug

Failed MOT on the following points:

Head light aim to high

N/S handbrake cable

O/S/R tyre below legal limit

Rear brake pads

N/S/R brake hose perished

So today i started on the brake lines and as ever now i'm going to have to do all of the dam things as they all snaped, rounded off etc.. :D On the plus side i took the chance to order some braided lines so its not all bad.

This is the exciting part, i'm away all week untill friday afternoon. When i get back at roughly 3pm i'm going to have to do this little lot:

Do all copper brake lines and fit braided lines

Re-fit rear beam

Fit rear brake pads

Fit handbrake cables

That list should keep me up most the night and till the retest in the morning, its not all bad i guess. I'm kinda used to working in the cold and dark on a feild so shouldn't be to hard! ;)

As it sits now:

IMGP2002.jpg