• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Replacing Ariel

TaffyTim

Now its finally started to rain down here in sunny bournemouth my ariel is leaking into the courtesy light.

I have taken off the fittings and found the nut to be totally rusted:

Ariel002.jpg

I have a new ariel on order and want to check that this nut pictured is a screw nut, as it only has 2 flat edges. Or is it the pull off cap talked about in this thread: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=26753&hl=

Whichever it is it is very corroded, the hole you can see opened up with no pressure being applied, and a good volume of water (5 - 10 ml) ran out when punctured.

Also there appears to be a phillips screw to the right of it (in the above picture) will i lneed to take that out first?

Thanks

Adnic69

Pull that cap off and the nut is under it.

Be sure to seal the base of the new unit or it will leak again

TaffyTim

ok thanks, it is a pull off cap. Will get some silicone sealant, when new one goes on.

What about that phillips screw, it looks a little suspect to me.

Edited by TaffyTim

Baz

I think the screw is a location screw in the aerial to stop it spinning round on the main hole, iirc there's often a smaller hole in the roof forward of the main one so would make sense. Although lots don't still have this screw i've found, although could have just been removed before i presume.

feb

Did you just remove the plastic surround of the lights to access it?

TaffyTim

Yes feb, you have to lever out the lights and the unit is held on by 2 screws, very easy to access

Sign in to follow this