• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grim.Badger

Damn Brake Problem

Grim.Badger

My front brakes get hot all the time, hot enough to burn. Even after a motorway journey the discs will be hot and I refuse to believe that a couple of short brakes will heat the discs like this so they must be building up heat on the motorway. They used to be much worse and the passenger side would get much hotter and wear the pads unevenly, so I stripped and regreased the calipers and replaced the fluid, pads and discs. The brakes are also rubbish, my old diesel would brake as if you'd hit a brick wall in comparrison, but that could be the fact that I'm rubbish at bleeding the system and could have left air in. The fluid pipes in the engine bay get hot as well which seems odd :huh: Don't know if my blowing manifold could be heating them in some way :D

The other thing is, no mater how hot the discs get, they won't heat the alloys. Not that I'm complaining (much) but my old diesel, on 1.6 alloys, would transfer excess heat from the discs into the wheels so why won't this car?

I'm confused, please help :D

Anthony

Sounds to me like you've either got a binding caliper, or your brake hose has collapsed internally and isn't allowing fluid to return properly.

Grim.Badger
Sounds to me like you've either got a binding caliper, or your brake hose has collapsed internally and isn't allowing fluid to return properly.

Could be, but they both seem as bad as each other. The rears used to heat up as well but they're normally cold now, can't remember what I did to stop them heating up :D

Anthony
Could be, but they both seem as bad as each other

Didn't you say in one of your other posts that one was considerably hotter than the other?

pug_ham

Brakes get surprisingly hot even after short drives, it takes a lot of force to slow a moving vehicle.

The pads are always in floating contact with the discs though so on a motorway drive they will have heat in them to an extent without braking.

As Anthony has suggested, are the flexi's to the calipers the original ones?

When the flexi's failed on my old diesel it got to the point where I could hardly drive the car after braking as they were restricting the fluid flow that much.

It might be time for a new mc also but check the hoses first.

Graham.

Grim.Badger
Didn't you say in one of your other posts that one was considerably hotter than the other?

Yes but the cold one was soaked in oil so hadn't been braking :(

As Anthony has suggested, are the flexi's to the calipers the original ones?

They could well be, I'll sort out some new ones and see if that helps.

Cheers :P

Sign in to follow this