• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
alternative

Lambda

alternative

Hallo everyone. :) I'm now running a XU9JA/D6B engine in place of a XU9J1/DFZ in my CTi. I'm thinking of fitting the Lamda probe into the non cat downpipe in order to achieve better mixture control. Anyone tried this? Thanks for any light down a rather dark exhaust :D

cybernck

if i haven't misunderstood - you can't do that as the ECU doesn't have that capability.

maybe there's something wrong with your AFM though? which one are you using - D6B or DFZ?

Gentrix

If your CTI had the Lambda before and you still use the DFZ Ecu, you must have the Lambda sensor, otherwise your Engine will run with wrong informations and not give you his full potential.

welshpug

yup, if its still got the lambda capability but not one plugged in itll be in a limp home map, not very good for the engien as IIRC it'll run rather lean to protect the cat.

cybernck

well i assumed that if he went the lengths of changing the engine and downpipe, that ECU, AFM etc would be XU9JA's too.

alternative

I'm using th AFM, distributor and ecu from the more powerful non cat engine. But although more powerful it doesn't run quite as sweetly as the cat version. As I've still got a wire for the lamda I was thinking of welding a lamda boss into the usual place in the downpipe and using the cat ecu. Hopefully this would give the power of the older engine with the better mixture and control and better running of the cat version! What does anyone think? :(

welshpug

you would be better off using the original AFM for the system, what you've done is basically installed a higher compression "fast road" version of your old engine, as it has a "hotter cam".

alternative

Why would I need to use the afm off the cat engine if I'm now running a non cat engine? Cheers :lol:

alternative

I have now welded the boss for the lamda into the downpipe. Performance seems the same but it definitely uses less petrol and sounds crisper. So, XU9JA/D6B running XU9J1/DFZ ecu and lamda (without cat) seems to work well. Nice snappy motor :):)

welshpug
Why would I need to use the afm off the cat engine if I'm now running a non cat engine? Cheers :)

because you're still using the CAt engines ECU and stuff!

but looks like youve got it running nicely with the lambda fitted :) no need to d*ck about with the afm screw and all that for MOT time!

alternative

Oh I see what you mean about the afm - but it runs well actually. Thanks everyone for your help :D

Sign in to follow this