• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ajones12

1.6 Or 1.9

ajones12

I acquired what I thought was a 'H' plate 1.9 Gti off a bloke at work but subsequent discussions with other 1.9 owners has lead to wonder what I've got!! It's badged and wheeled like a 1.9.

As I understand it, an oil cooler was fitted as standard to the 1.9 - mine hasn't got one and the oil filter is at the front of the engine pointing towards the radiator.

Are there any give away clues as to what will help me decide what I've got??? I'll check the V5 tonight for what it's worth.

boombang

Simplest differences:

1.6's had rear drums, 1.9's discs.

1.9 engine has spacer place between sump and block, 1.6 doesn't

White Pugs

Has it got Rear Disc brakes, if so it's a 1.9.

Or if somebody has craftily fitted a 1.9 rear beam, check the chassis no Details on tech specs part of main 205gtidrivers site

Cheers

J

sonofsam

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...ic=8944&hl= List of engine codes

Different brakes up front also on the 1.6.Also will rear have brake compensator in engine bay?

I had no oil cooler on my old 1.9 either.

Edited by sonofsam

Miles

Take the chassis numer to pug or check it on the RAC car check, this should give you a idea as it's easy to clone them

Ryan

Lack of an oil cooler isn't really definitive. They aren't needed in the UK climate, and a lot of people just take them off, especially if the pipes are dodgy.

Check for the 3/4" spacer between the sump and block. The 1.6 engine doesn't have this. Another quick check is the injector colour. Blue = 1.6, Yellow = 1.9.

brianthemagical

check the stroke. put a rod down one of the pug holes and turn the engine over (by hand), recording the difference between tdc and bdc. i think 1.6 is 73mm and 1.9 is 88mm. it's the only way to truely know which engine it is (assuming it is one of the origional engines)

ajones12

Thanks for all your help guys. The car does have discs at the rear. I'll check for the spacer and find the engine number.

Fingers crossed for a 1.9......

stutto
Thanks for all your help guys. The car does have discs at the rear. I'll check for the spacer and find the engine number.

Fingers crossed for a 1.9......

Good plan, I recently 'won' an e-bay auction for a 1.9 which turned out to be a 1.6. It was a B6D, had no sump spacer but did have yellow injectors and the seller was adamant it came from a 1.9 with FSH! He was really good about it, though, and I ended up with a short block and cash in hand.

Sign in to follow this