• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rich_w

End Caps

rich_w

I've done a search but cant find an answer...

When refitting my sump, I didnt check the length and I've think i've used the wrong length bolts for the end cap and I think i'm leaking oil from the the flywheel end cap.

1). Could I be leaking oil from the end cap cos of the wrong sized bolts used?

2). Can I use a end cap from another engine I have lying around? Can I just swap caps?

Cheers, Rich

pug_ham
When refitting my sump, I didnt check the length and I've think i've used the wrong length bolts for the end cap and I think i'm leaking oil from the the flywheel end cap.

1). Could I be leaking oil from the end cap cos of the wrong sized bolts used?

Yes, if you use ones that are too long they will break through the cap into the seal recess unseating it so it leaks.

2). Can I use a end cap from another engine I have lying around? Can I just swap caps?

Wouldn't like to say 100%, you can use it but there could be a slight difference in fit which could cause it to either nip the crank making it harder to turn or it'll be slight looser & work fine imo.

I'm not sure if the mains were specific to each block like the cam caps are but its very possible they are.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this