• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Doof

Electrical Loads Killing Engine

Doof

My 1.6 Gti has never idled too well, it tended to waver up and down around a 1000rpm. Anyway this i can live with but the stalling is starting to annoy me. Its definitely related to electrical load, if i have the lights on and the radio then i can stall it by turning the fan up to full.

Is this caused by the alternator not providing enough juice, or is it maybe the battery?

Any thoughts would be great.

Lewis

James_m

Try another AFM/usual idle fixes. Sounds like the already poor idle is being pushed over the edge from the extra loads from the alternator

huxley309

it's definetly the voltage regulator on the alternator giving up ive had this happen on each of the gti's ive owned

try driving over 3000 rpm and switch everything on, im willing to bet she doesn't cut out :)

Doof

Yes obviously when driving normally its fine. Its just when i dip the clutch it happens.

Whats this voltage regulator? Can i replace it?

huxley309

not that i know of

Anthony

Nothing to do with the voltage regulator in my experience.

It'll be your idle mixture isn't set up properly, and prehaps the throttle stop/speed needs adjusting as well. Clean out the AFM and throttle body with carb cleaner, unscrew the AFM mixture screw a few turns, check it's idling around 900rpm with full electrical load (main beams, heated rear screw, fan on full speed) and I bet you that it'll be a damned sight better

PumaRacing
My 1.6 Gti has never idled too well, it tended to waver up and down around a 1000rpm. Anyway this i can live with but the stalling is starting to annoy me. Its definitely related to electrical load, if i have the lights on and the radio then i can stall it by turning the fan up to full.

Is this caused by the alternator not providing enough juice, or is it maybe the battery?

Any thoughts would be great.

Lewis

The idle mixture will be far too rich or too weak, probably the latter. Check for split hoses, air leaks at gaskets etc, exhaust cracks and then get the mixture set up properly. A compression test wouldn't hurt either.

C_W

I've always found too rich makes it swing on idle and more likely stall, and too weak a generally rough idle.

Sign in to follow this