• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
phat205

Tapping Mi16

phat205

When my mi16 gets upto temperature it starts to tap (rapidly), it doesn't do it when cold.

Has anyone experienced the same problem or know what it might be.

I thought about the tappets but doing it when its hot and not cold seems a bit strange.

Any help would great

kyepan

pulsars had this with their solid lifters when they needed reshiming, and also when the oil needed changing.

It also did this when using lighter oil which got too thin when it was hot from the turbo.. are you running a turbo to get that bhp?

and when did you last change the oil.

phat205
pulsars had this with their solid lifters when they needed reshiming, and also when the oil needed changing.

It also did this when using lighter oil which got too thin when it was hot from the turbo.. are you running a turbo to get that bhp?

and when did you last change the oil.

no turbo, i'll try and add a link to show you the engine,

i changed the oil 3 weeks ago, i thought that maybe the petrol had diluted the oil and stopped the tappets pumping up.

what grade oil would you recomment as i put some pretty standard stuff in to clean i through, just ticking over on the drive.

205 mi16

kyepan

if its got 225bhp, then god knows what the right oil is or if its using standard hydraulic lifters or solid ones, someone on here may be able to help once you post the spec of the engine, i'm not very technical on engines to be honest, and am mostly a keyboard mechanic.

Oil for standard engine is 10-40 semi synthetic, occasionally it gets a little tappety on start up when it needs changing.

My mate chucked some cheap stuff in his 8V and it sounded like a bag of spanners, he put some reasonably good quality oil in and the sounds dissapeared. Perhaps drop the oil and get some comma semi synthetic for 7 quid from euro car parts or similar and see what happens.

Or alternativly check out some of the oilman's posts as he may put you on to some more expensive exotic lubricants for your exotic engine.

ps how do you open the doors without handles.. can you perform telekenesis or what?

Edited by kyepan

phat205
if its got 225bhp, then god knows what the right oil is or if its using standard hydraulic lifters or solid ones, someone on here may be able to help once you post the spec of the engine, i'm not very technical on engines to be honest, and am mostly a keyboard mechanic.

Oil for standard engine is 10-40 semi synthetic, occasionally it gets a little tappety on start up when it needs changing.

My mate chucked some cheap stuff in his 8V and it sounded like a bag of spanners, he put some reasonably good quality oil in and the sounds dissapeared. Perhaps drop the oil and get some comma semi synthetic for 7 quid from euro car parts or similar and see what happens.

Or alternativly check out some of the oilman's posts as he may put you on to some more expensive exotic lubricants for your exotic engine.

ps how do you open the doors without handles.. can you perform telekenesis or what?

The doors work of the alarm key fob.

I'll get a full spec up asap

24seven

My almera deos this. I reckon it's valve clearances so I want to get my 205 done and out of the garage so I can take a look at the almera.

phat205

don't thick i will be valve clearance unless you changed the cams for somthing a bit wild.

Don;t think the temp would make any difference to valve clearance

taylorspug

Depends what lifter setup you are running. For hydraulic lifters temperature wont make any difference to clearance. However for solid/shimmed lifters, clearances close up when everything gets warm, as all the metals expand. Hence why lifter clearances should be checked with the engine warm. :)

phat205

The noise has only started recently, the engine has only done 2500 miles

taylorspug

Where exactly is the noise coming from? Top end? Bottom end? Stick a screwdriver on the engine and put your ear to it, you will quickly be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from then, which will help diagnose the problem. :)

Maybe the oil though, at a complete guess.

phat205

Sounds like the top end but will try the screw driver thing to double check

Sign in to follow this