• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Stupidly Large Brakes 370mm

lets say for argument i had managed to aquire some rather enormous 6 pot calipers discs and pads originally designed to stop something rather fast and heavy

the discs are 2 piece 370mm! so im going to be running 17`s minumum but will cross that one later

my question is

do i have to employ the services of an engineer to make some carriers for the calipers? and because they are floating discs does this imply and special difference to mounting the caliper??

and

the car originally runs 5 stud hubs, so obviously i need to change the inner disc part, is this a bespoke part or do places like brembo stock 4 stud 370mm disc inners? :(

any help or recommendations would me most appreciated

oh and then master cylinders next post........

Edited by 205007

pug_life

the centres are interchangeable so find a vehicle with same hub fitment 4stud. Our race car runs 6pots all round (Tarox) and they are 4stud fitment, i've yet to find the wheel fitment but i can do that tomoro if you like and get a part number possibly...

as for calipers is the fitment way off? if so you will need an engineer to make up a custom carrier for them unless you have machine equiptment??

Peddle travel will be a little large i'd imagine on a stock cylinder (although i reckon it'd blow seals before the pedal hit the floor lol.)

id really appreciate it if you could get me any info on the disc centres

i can only think of a cossie running anywhere near that size disc on that hub pattern but even then?

as for the calipers, they are a totally different mount

the caliper bolts run parallel to the disc not at a right angle as per normal if that makes sense

im hoping some sort of willwood mc should be up to the job but will have to see

pug_life

yeh i'll check tomoro for you. ours are Tarox 6pots with floating discs. Its all custom as the car is spaceframed using a 350bhp WRX/STi hybrid engine and 4stud hubs.... so i guess most stuff is custom made. Will check with The chief engineer tomorrow but i "think" you can buy the hub attachment parts of the discs seperately and get the right 205hub fitment.

For big brakes i'd look at a heavy duty one, our car was leading the britsport race at weekend only to fail with a few laps left on MC seals. the pressure needed on the 6pots just mashed the seals :P

what are these off if i can put the cat amongst the pigeon :(

your running a sti engine in a spaceframe 205? that sounds a bit tasty!

minor corrections as they are 4 only pots (my bad) from a DB9 but the discs are from a Vanquish S actually 378mm not 370mm

probably wont use them for anything serious other than showing off as id imagine this is going to double the weight on each corner i have got the rears too ! maybe a little ott

i hear you on the mc seals probably a little too much for a std 1.9 setup!!!

pug_life
Batfink

your master cylinder seals would be fine as its your foot that is regulating the pressure not the calipers. Your braking would be crap though as its not up to the job of pushing a large volume of fluid that a 6 pot caliper will need to move

they are pretty big but not 6 pots only 4 so do you think i would be better off getting a bigger mc to push the fluid?

will get some photos tomorrow to illustrate the caliper fitment issues

anyone own an engineering firm!

Edited by 205007

Rippthrough
they are pretty big but not 6 pots only 4 so do you think i would be better off getting a bigger mc to push the fluid?

will get some photos tomorrow to illustrate the caliper fitment issues

anyone own an engineering firm!

If the bolts run parallel to the disc (radial caliper) it should be even easier to make up a bracket than it normally is - basically all you need is an oblong block with the 4 holes drilled + the 2 for the caliper tapped. Although you can machine it down to reduce to weight if you have the time/equipment.

pug_life

205007 - checked out the brakes today, the stud pattern is:

11.5mm diagonal between studs, and 8mm horizontal between studs.

don't have the full wheel fitment as dve didn't know it.

can ask dave on friday about making up a bracket if you want??? would need, disc, caliper and a hub although i have spare 1.9 hubs...

as for the centr of floating disc i couldn't find a supplier that would do a 205 fitment one but i'm sure if you phone up Tarox or alcon etc they should be able to gt one although price wise i'd hate to ask :)

jonD6B

What about wheel offset and design to clear the larger calipers and carriers?

i can see this is going to be a bit of a challenge and maybe expensive

but seeing as i have the calipers i might as well try hadnt i!

ive got some old db7 v12 discs which are a bit smaller but not much, this maybe helpful to me in sourcing the inners

if i bring a caliper over and a hub it would be really appreciated if you could try and make a bracket sometime

jon, i think i might be able to get away with 17"s, on the V8 vantage the cars have an 18" wheel option as opposed to 19" and there is still enough room under them so im hoping some comps or something wont look too bad (on the dimma)

adam

Edited by 205007

nick

PM crf450(Martin), he might be able help. He's got his own engineering firm and iirc has made his own bells for his big discs.

Nick

bonus and local! ill pm him tonight

A few developments on this now

Looks like the disc centres come out fairly easily so should be copyable :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/205...es/P1010088.jpg

The radial mounts just need a sufficient piece of aluminium to bolt to the hub then the caliper (ive inserted bolts to make it obvious why they wont go straight on ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/205...es/P1010089.jpg

DEFINETLY NEED BIGGER WHEELS!!!

14" gtx shown for comparison

P1010091.jpg

going to weigh the whole lot tomorrow for comparison to std discs and pads and the popular gti 180 setup

Rippthrough
A few developments on this now

Beefy!

DEFINETLY NEED BIGGER WHEELS!!!

Pity you've already got calipers, could have made it really special and gone rim mounted. Would have gone in 16's then, just, maybe. :rolleyes:

-Phillip

Edited by Rippthrough

believe it or not these are actually the rear calipers

the front ones are just ridiculous!

gonna put them on the 405 as will definetly need 18`s !!

Rippthrough
believe it or not these are actually the rear calipers

the front ones are just ridiculous!

gonna put them on the 405 as will definetly need 18`s !!

Are they aston martins own castings then? They look pretty similar to AP's.

One 14" bike tyre an inner tube and you won't need wheels! Mount them on the disc :rolleyes:

Edited by Rippthrough

Kev-G

Search for Godspeed - They make brakes (discs + caliper brackets) and can certainly sort this.

Sign in to follow this