• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

Help With Wiring In A Modern Stereo Into An Older Car.

macaroni

Hope no-one is offended if I ask a question related to a non-Pug (although it does use an old 505 engine...)

I have a modern Sony HU that I want to install in this car and upon removal of the old Panasonic, I can only find a live and an earth wire. The Sony appears to need 4 wires, including the red live and black earth. Any idea what the other 2 wires are for and why I need them?

Any help gratefully received.

Antony

hengti

what colour are they?

stereos are just a mess of wires these days. probably easiest to get yourself a set of ISO leads (presume the new head unit is a modern one with ISO connectors on it - ?). then you can splice the ISO loom into the car without having to chop up the connectors on your head unit.

other wires will be for speakers, illumination (orange - ?), amp switching lead (blue), phone mute (brown - ?)... toaster interface, automatic curtain operation etc etc

Edited by hengti

macaroni

Thanks for the reply. The colour of the other 2 wires is blue and blue/white. They definitely aren't the speaker wires.

It does have an ISO connector and that is what I am chopping up.

When I plug the stereo into another cars ISO connectors, it works fine, but I can't even get it to work directly onto a battery.

Wes

you wont need to use the blue wires, they are for electric aerial and amplifier switch on. red is ignition live, yellow is permanent live and black is earth/ground/-ne. you will need to put the red and yellow together to connect straight to a permanent live and not use ignition switch.

Edited by wes205mi

macaroni

Using the connecting loom I got with the Sony HU, there is no yellow wire, just red, black, blue and blue/white in addition to the speaker wires.

No combination of the wires to the live will make it work.

Maybe my direct wiring to the battery is dodgy...

TEKNOPUG

Just run a live to the battery with a suitable fuse. Or pick another wire that works on positive ignition. If your earth lead is no good (bad connection) then the unit won't work regardless of whether the live is active.

macaroni

OK, I was being a bit daft. I found myself a loom with a yellow wire, joined it to the red and we have power.

Thanks for your help.

Antony

Sign in to follow this