• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daz205

Carb Ram Pipe Length

daz205

looking at getting some full radius ram pipes for my twin 45`s, i know the length changes the power delivery but in what way?

what do people think would be the best for my engine?

1.9, modded head, big valves, twin 45`s, 300 deg cam, lightened/knife edged crank, lightened fly wheel, 4-1 manifold

also whats best with the filters an air box, 1 single filter, 2 twin filters or single socks?

mbayley77

"also whats best with the filters an air box, 1 single filter, 2 twin filters or single socks?"

I was always told by the engine tuners around here that all your ram tubes shuld get the air from the same source. I.E the best = single source air box going to worst set up 4 x different filters or socks.

but someone can correct me if im wrong.

Guest ashnicholls

Well not socks, as have I have been told they get sucked into the engine they are that restrictive.

I have a set of K&N's on mine with 5cm trumpets underneath.

taffycrook

Very complex subject, no easy answers.

I suggest you test on the rollers with adj length intakes.

A good way is rubber pipe which is cut down, and run again till you find the lentgh that works best with your set up.

Often the best length is such that the bonnet can't be shut or sticks out of the front of the car.

Thats life, but most OE runners tend to be much longer than the ram pipes used on carb's you have to ask why that is.

Conventional wisdom is longer up to a point = more mid range and shorter more top end power. However its no use using a length that causes a huge miss fire due to fuel stand off at cruising speeds to gain 2 bhp at 8000 rpm.

As for air supply you have been informed correctly but the benifits seldom out weigh the cost of an air box style system that fits. I have run socks filters and never suffered from any problems with either when they are fitted correctly.

Edited by taffycrook

ada205
Well not socks, as have I have been told they get sucked into the engine they are that restrictive.

I have a set of K&N's on mine with 5cm trumpets underneath.

Yeah, literally.

While giving mine some stick not so long ago, the car suddenly developed a serious miss-fire while doing around 6000rpm. s*it myself, thinking the spare Mi lump sitting at home was about to have to come out of retirement! The car was un-drivable above 1500rpm!! A quick look under the bonnet and all became clear, with the end of #4 sock now missing! The sock had desintegrated, and the end was now stuck half way down the ram pipe!

The socks were about 8 months old, and fitted properly with the correct gap between the end of the trumpet and the inside of the sock.

Also worth noting that i took the car for a quick run after getting home and removing the other three socks, and the car was definately noticeably more responsive. 1st and 2nd seemed to be over a fair bit quicker than when the socks were fitted :P

I'm now in the same boat, in that i still have socks, but am looking to change asap, though i dont know what too!

Edited by ada205

Sign in to follow this