• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huzzer

Reversing Light

huzzer

My reversing lights are not working and i'm trying to locate the problem. However, i cant work out which bulb is the correct light for reversing. I removed the light cluster cover and there is no obvious white lamp for reversing. All the four bulbs are working but none of them come on when i'm in reverse!? Which one is it?? if you look at the back of the car, from what I can make out, the right hand light cluster looks like this..

side light? side light?

brake light right indicator

Can anybody just quickly check which one comes on in reverse on their car? many thanks, Ben.

pug_life

could be loose connection on gearbox, mine had one terminal come off while i changed clutch cable and never noticed it.

the reverse switch is next to the cable on the left of it.

what phase car is it as reverse bulbs have different locations iirc.

steve@cornwall

sounds like ph2- reverse light is below the bumper-by the exhaust- on ph1-1.5 clusters,reverse light is bottom row inside on both clusters. quite common for the wiring to be disconected at the gearbox plug, or on an earlier car fitted with ph2 clusters, the light itself is often not connected when converted.sometimes the light itself is not fitted!

welshpug

you might have phase one rear valence with phase 2 lamps, so no reversing lamp.

huzzer

thanks for all the replies. I believe it has ph2 rear clusters (91 on an H). It would make sense for it not to be in the clusters as it was confusing me a lot! I always thought the light on the rear valance was for the fog light? I'll check that out.

huzzer

By the way welshpug, if that is the case that i have no reverse light, is that not MOT failure?

miamistu
By the way welshpug, if that is the case that i have no reverse light, is that not MOT failure?

Nah, I had no reversing light on my old 1.4 GR for years and it was never an MOT test problem. :)

welshpug

on the p2's one will be a fog and the other a reverse lamp, though its still tinted red.

huzzer

cool. Got it working. Water had been sitting in the insulation and corroded the connector.

Sign in to follow this