• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rutlandguy

Help Required Getting The Speedo Cable Back Into The Final Drive

rutlandguy

Hi,

Whilst working on my 205 replacing the Air Filter and the HT leads I managed to dislocate the Speedo cable from the final drive - It obviously wasn't fitted properly other wise it wouldn't have come out so easily.

The first I knew of the problem was when I found a rubber bolt laying on the ground underneath the engine which retains the Speedo cable in the final drive. Try as I might I have been unable to giggle the speedo cable enough to refit the rubber bolt.

The problem: Seems like I can't insert the speedo cable far enough into the plastic drive assembly to allow the bolt to slide in and retain the speedo cable!

The speedo cable mounts into a plastic sub assembly on top of the final drive which appears to be held in place with a 11mm bolt I have removed the 11mm bolt with a view to fitting the cable into the plastic sub assembly and then re-insert the cable and sub assembly into the Final drive. However the plastic sub assembly seems to be attached by more than just the 11mm bolt.

So I have a couple of questions:

Should I be trying to get the sub assembly out or will I create more problems for my self if I do. ie things popping out at me or real difficulty getting the sub assembly back into the final drive once removed?

If its OK to remove the plastic sub assembly then what else other than the 11mm bolt holds it in place?

Any other Ideas for getting the Speedo cable refitted?

I appreciate the job would be easier if I had a second pair of hands to turn the wheels whilst trying to locate the speedo cable and rubber bolt!

All Help appreciated as currently I'm driving the car about without a speedometer!

hengti

it should just go back in - stick at it!

not sure, but is there a gasket/oil seal underneath the assembly you're thinking of taking off - ? i'd get confirmation first, before you take it off, as you might then need to be getting yourself a new gasket/whatever as well.

is the end of the cable chewed up at all? might account for stubborn fit

rutlandguy

Thanks for your help. No the square end of the cable is fine and not at all chewed up. The rubber bolt is a bit miss shappened but fits in the plastic sub assembly just fine without the speedo cable!

Next step then is to get someone to help me - might make it a little easier. - Unless someone can proved another bit of insight that I can try.

Cheers

Phil

it should just go back in - stick at it!

not sure, but is there a gasket/oil seal underneath the assembly you're thinking of taking off - ? i'd get confirmation first, before you take it off, as you might then need to be getting yourself a new gasket/whatever as well.

is the end of the cable chewed up at all? might account for stubborn fit

boombang

I have exactly the same problem!

My rallycar in its previous life ran no speedo - I've put a different box on and know that the speedo drive is fine, and have tried a couple of cables and they simply will not go in, even though I know it should.

I've not tried that hard though as getting the car running is my priority now.

Edited by boombang

sonofsam

Looks like we are all in the same boat then :wacko:

I might try taking the speedo drive off the gearbox, then attach the cable and then put drive back in.

steve@cornwall
Looks like we are all in the same boat then :wacko:

I might try taking the speedo drive off the gearbox, then attach the cable and then put drive back in.

it is just one 11mm bolt holding the drive assy on- and no gasket. piece of cake to assemble with this removed,otherwise it can be frustrating getting the squared end of the cable alligned with the squared drive. If I remember correctly, the hole for the rubber retainer is bigger on one side than the other to help the tapered rubber fit tightly.

Edited by steve@cornwall

pug_life

if you push the speedo cable end in too far the lip blocks the rubber pins access. try turning the cable to get the metal drive to slot in fully then just crack on with fitting the rubber pin.

i changed my cable in may and couldn't get the rubber pin in, so just left it out, never bounced on gauges and never popped out.... but thats just risking it lol.

Guest Quakes

ive done this before and no matter how hard i tried its impossible to get the rubber thing back in place i can only think the speedo cog drops a bit when the plastic thing is out.

All you need to do is use two screwdrives (after removing the 11m bolt ) one on each side and gently prise the speedo drive out rebuild it with the rubber bung and put it back in should take 10 mins at most

mattmk1

The best bet is just to persevere they can be a right sod. If you get your cable in nicely, youll notice that the rubber pin has a dent in it - the dent has to face/sit in the cable. Soak the pin in WD40 and it should slip in enough for the tip to protrude slightly , you can then grab this with pliers and pull it fully through.

Alastairh

Clean all the contacts of the cable, and the holder, and turn the wheel.

Had this before, some times the slot in, some times they don't.

Alastair

Grim.Badger

The square pin on the end of the cable needs to be inserted exactly right, which means loads of fiddling. The easiest thing to do is to remove the other end of the speedo cable from the instument panel, then you can position the cable more easily, then grease the rubber thing and slide it in.

I've one been fiddling with one of these for about 30 minutes before I could get the damn thing back in the final drive/assy.

rutlandguy

Just for thread completeness.

Thanks to the help of AK205 (thanks Andy) fitting the Speedo cable was easy after listening to all the responses to this post we just jacked the front end up to get the wheels clear of the ground and one of us rotated the front wheels whilst the other located the cable in the fianl drive. Once that was done the rubber bolt went in easily.

Thanks for all your help

Phil

Sign in to follow this