• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bam

Gearboxes For Turbo

Bam

hi folks,

has somebody experience with durability (BE3 gearboxes) and torque around 400nm?

or has anybody other gearboxes tried? (ML etc)

cheers

mik

Hilgie

With 400Nm of torque a BE box just won't do.

I have recently bought an ML6C box from a DW12 diesel engine (407).

But it does not fit the XU engines, so I have to buy an ML5T box from a 806 diesel and swap flywheelhousings.

Bam

@hilgie

thanks for information! :wacko:

wich gaerbox use the t16? (and wich gearbox you use at 205 T16 conversion?)

i have fitted few km ago....a 215mm sinter sachs cluth with pressure plate.

as statement from sachs: this clutch in connection with this pressure plate it is durability about 350nm, peak around 380nm.its shame to chuck away...

i ask myself: why do sachs built a clutch wich is healthly around 350nm....but the gearbox burst asunder at this torque?!

cheers

Guest SteveDav

Not sure about the T16 coversion but when doing the 2.0 8v turbo swap i use the BE4 box from a 306hdi. It has no prbs dealing with 250+ bhp not sure of the exact torque figure though!

max0
Not sure about the T16 coversion but when doing the 2.0 8v turbo swap i use the BE4 box from a 306hdi. It has no prbs dealing with 250+ bhp not sure of the exact torque figure though!

Hi steve, im rebuilding a 2.0 8v and I'm not sure what box to go for, was thinkin of using the 1.6 box and maybe changing the 5th gear for the motor way / top end. Whats the 306 HDI box like overall? Topend and 0-60

Thanks Andy

Hilgie

Xsara VTS BE4 gearbox is also quite strong.

But then again...400Nm is a LOT of torque.

TEKNOPUG

Ask Magic - he was running 441bhp T16

Bam

@hilgie

xsara vts ....there exists 2 engines 1.6 16v and 2.0 16v...i've also found the be4 box into 1.4 16v hdi :(

@SteveDav

do you mean 2.0HDI dw10atd? wich flyweel diameter has them?any problems with fitting? (driveshaft,hydraulic etc)

i've also new infos..i have spoken with "sachs".

its possible to build a custom clutch (gearing 21,4 x 24,3 - 21 tooth ?!) for BE3 boxes -215mm diameter

number: 88 1861 999 778 / 101 but with profilnumber "916"

(so it should possible to use 215mm flywheel,215mm custom clutch and 215mm pressure plate with ME5 gearbox! (have sintermetal clutch bought ~800km before) )

but.... Mx5 box conversion means a lot of custom work...and custom (expensive?!) pieces (driveshafts).

has anybody length of driveshafts from peugeot partner,expert?

:)

mik

Bam

:( idea :excl:

if i change the inners from Mx5 gearbox to Be3 box...should be work?!

(primaryshaft etc)

anybody tried?!

:)

mik

Guest SteveDav

@ maxO

We started with standard 1.9 box and although it delt with the power ok it topped out at 130mph and felt like the engine had so much more to give. Now with the BE4 top end i rekon your looking at 150+ just an estimate as i've never had the guts to go for it as for a 0 - 60 time the car is only running 10psi of boost as the standard fueling system can't realy keep up with much higher! But with aftermarket manegment coming soon and 21psi of boost i'll get back to you!

@ Bam

Using the mMi16 flywheel with a uprated Mi16 clutch the box fits no trouble

Henry Yorke

I use an Mi16 with 1.9 final drive and it suits my low pressure turbo beautifully

Magic used a Berlingo box in his CTI

adrian_gti

what about a normal 205 TD / STDT box? I was going to pick one of these up over the next couple of days for my TT... should i go for another box or will the TD box be ok? Currently I have a mi16 flywheel and 1.6GTi box (installed by previous owner).. not happy with the power delivery at all :P

any advice?

sonofsam
what about a normal 205 TD / STDT box? I was going to pick one of these up over the next couple of days for my TT... should i go for another box or will the TD box be ok? Currently I have a mi16 flywheel and 1.6GTi box (installed by previous owner).. not happy with the power delivery at all :(

any advice?

I was advised a TD box on its own would be way too long.

A 1.9 box with TD final drive is meant to be good as Teknopug has this on his TT, also doing this to mine.

TEKNOPUG

Yeah, try and just change the final drive. That way you keep all the gear-spacing the same. With the TD Final Drive, it drags all the gears out by about 10% on the 1.9 box. May not sound like a lot but it's noticeable when you get into the higher gears. For example, the 1.9 is about 20mph per 1k in 5th, whereas my hybrid is about 22mph.

On a 80mph motorway cruise that means only about 3.5k whereas you're upto 4k on a standard box. All the other gearboxes are a bit of a compromise. Mi16, short first/second, close 3/4, long 5th, for example.

If you keep the 1.9 ratios then you get a long 1&2 (for traction) and then a close 3/4/5 for midrange and top acceleration.

If you are planning on running really big torque, I think that the standard diesel final drive is even longer than the TD, so that may be an option.

Sign in to follow this