• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
niklas

Differences

niklas

What are the exact differences between the xu9j4 and xu9j4z engines?

Super Josh

Pistons crown height is lower to give the reduced compression. Valve springs are different too, at least according to the Catcam website. As maximum valve lift is quoted as lower, limiting the particular Catcam that can be fitted. Don't know if the Cams and pulleys are different too.

Josh

B1ack_Mi16
Pistons crown height is lower to give the reduced compression. Valve springs are different too, at least according to the Catcam website. As maximum valve lift is quoted as lower, limiting the particular Catcam that can be fitted. Don't know if the Cams and pulleys are different too.

Josh

The valve springs definately are the same in both these engines.

Difference is in pistons as you say, and advanced camtiming on the inlet cam with (3) pulley while J4 has (2) on both inlet and exhaust.

Don't think there any other mechanical differences.

niklas

Ok, so pistons, inlet cam pulley, no cat and the motronic box are all the differences?

B1ack_Mi16
Ok, so pistons, inlet cam pulley, no cat and the motronic box are all the differences?

I would say so yes.

petert

The cams and valve springs are definitely identical. The only difference is with the Mi16x4 cams, which have the same lift but more duration.

piston compression heights:

XU9J4 - 37.12mm

XU9J4Z - 36.28mm

niklas

Great!

I'm thinking of J4-convertering a J4Z I have in the garage :D

Super Josh
The cams and valve springs are definitely identical.

So Peter, how do you explain the info on the Catcams website? They talk about 'Grey' and 'Green' O.E. springs.

Here's the info....

XU9J4

post-3373-1160241108_thumb.jpg

XU9J4Z

post-3373-1160241166_thumb.jpg

Notice the 'Fitted Length / Load' and 'Max. allowed lift / load' are different for each spring type. Now obviously, this won't be a problem when using the standars cams. But could be a problem when using aftermarket items.

Cheers,

Josh

steendp

The later engine is the 2.0 litre 16v XU10J4 (150hp) and not the XU9J4 (147/160hp).

Super Josh
The later engine is the 2.0 litre 16v XU10J4 (150hp) and not the XU9J4 (147/160hp).

Are you saying that Catcams have it listed incorrectly on their website? As they state that the information is the same for both XU9 and XU10. I thought that the 2.0 litre was 155 BHP?

A lot of confusing info :wacko:

Josh

steendp
Are you saying that Catcams have it listed incorrectly on their website?

All I'm saying is that the valvesprings between XU9J4A and XU9J4AZ is the same. I just thought that the difference between XU9 and XU10 was the reason why Catcams had different listings. Having said (written) that, I can now see the the valvesprings actually is the same for 1.9 and 2.0 16v engines.

I dont know why Catcams are listing 2 different springs.

I thought that the 2.0 litre was 155 BHP?

Correct - my mistake.

petert
So Peter, how do you explain the info on the Catcams website?

They're wrong. I've also measured XU10J4 springs and they're identical to XU9J4Z as well.

Sign in to follow this