• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigb

8v Crank Sensor Set Up

Craigb

I am thinking of moving away from my VW dizzy set up and going to a coil pack and crank sensor. How many on here have this set up , and have you noticed any benefits ?

Also , what would the shopping list look like ?

Something like this ?

Coil Pack ( which donor ?)

trigger wheel

Crank sensor and bracket

Plug leads.

Anything i have missed?

jackherer
Anything i have missed?

you haven't mentioned an aftermarket programmable ECU but I assume you already have one as you're running a golf dizzy (presumably for the hall effect sensor)?

Robsbc
I am thinking of moving away from my VW dizzy set up and going to a coil pack and crank sensor. How many on here have this set up , and have you noticed any benefits ?

Also , what would the shopping list look like ?

Something like this ?

Coil Pack ( which donor ?)

trigger wheel

Crank sensor and bracket

Plug leads.

Anything i have missed?

Save the money on a new exhaust....

I've been on the VW dizzy on my Emerald ECU for the last 8 yrs...Eemrald told me I'm unlikely to see any benefit except for servicing costs i.e. no dizzy to replace.

Edited by Robsbc

welshpug

which VW is this?

smckeown

Craig is running on emerald.

This is the crank sensor and bracked QEP supplied me with:

crank_sensor.jpg

Won't the coilpack depend on what emerald supports ? Mine is an Audi one I believe.

Does emerald have an amplifier built in ?

welshpug

and how easy does it fot a 205 and why would you wanmt to fit one? sorry for the questions but the golf Dizzy seems to be much easier to get hold of than the 205 unit!

petert

There's significant gains to be made from switching to individual coils (or coil packs). I have been truely amazed at the difference it has made to both 8V and 16V engines. I just use a Motronic flywheel (8V or 16V), std. pickup, aftermarket ECU and four Chev LS1 coils. No ignition modules are needed as they're built into the LS1 coils.

Miles

As you've got a balanced engine fitting this will really need to be balanced again if your being fussy, But the Pulley as Sean's showed is quite common on the Race 205's and I;m sure some Vauxhaul's use this method as std,

Never done a back to back so it would be intresting to see if you get any gain's

The 16v Golf Dizzy is a direct fit, no hassle what so ever, but you will need a aftermarket ECU which is the point of using the Dizzy as it's hall effect and save's bolting on any Pick up's etc

Dream Weaver

I use a Mini Cooper S coilpack for mine, seems OK so far.

Craigb
Save the money on a new exhaust....

I think that goes without saying Rob :( .

The reason i was think about moving was initially reliability , and then any performance benefits.

Just one of those things that i have on a list to do , when i 've stopped repairing it.

i was prompted due to mine dying on me last weekend, i think i have traced that to a faulty relay though !

Robsbc
I think that goes without saying Rob :( .

The reason i was think about moving was initially reliability , and then any performance benefits.

Just one of those things that i have on a list to do , when i 've stopped repairing it.

i was prompted due to mine dying on me last weekend, i think i have traced that to a faulty relay though !

I've got about 30,000 miles on my VW dizzy

Sign in to follow this