• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Bonnet Problem

timmsy19

Right as some of you may know i just got my engine convertion done. When i did it i also had to replace a hinge.

Now the problem was that the bonnet didnt want to shut properly so i moved the catch so it would stay down ;) Thing is that when i pull the popper it wont pop the bonnet again:angry: Ive tried to pull the popper while pushing and lifting the bonnet to try and release it but it just wont budge :(

ive completely run out of ideas now and i need to do some work under the bonnet to do with my driving lights and indicators.

Help me please............. ;):(

Thanks

Graham

sonofsam

Er do you mean the popper on the bonnet or release catch in the car?

Can you get it up far enough to undo the slam panel bolts?

timmsy19

well the release lever in the car moves but it does nothing and doesnt feel as tight as it should.

the bonnet move all of about 5mm so cant even get to the grill bolts let alone the slam panel

timmsy19

ive pulled the cable from under the car but this also does nothing. maybe im just not pulling on it hard enough.(the cable before anyone starts ;) )

Edited by timmsy19

max0
ive pulled the cable from under the car but this also does nothing. maybe im just not pulling on it hard enough.(the cable before anyone starts)

i had this last week after painting the slam panel. spent about half an hour tryin to pull it up. I used a big screw driver pushed into the grill on the bonnet cable to make sure the catch was open. Then i put my fingers on the safty catch thing and pushed the bonet down then pulled up. down and up etc trying a little harder each time.

It eventualy poped open.

Hope this helps.

Andy

timmsy19

looks like more force needed.

what do you mean by putting the screw driver thru the grill? i dont have the holes in the grill like the gti. its all blanked off(looks like a 2 man job)

i just didnt want to damage the bonnet as you know well know they are a soft as a sponge cake

steve@cornwall

may be worth a try... undo the two screws that hold the release lever and pull like hell! (as you say, on the cable....) if the cable's been slackened by moving the catch , You're presently limited to the travel of the handle, which may not be enough. If it comes to a BF+I solution, I'd rip off the grill- probably only the back would be damaged, and then you can see what's going on and pry the catch open.

Edited by steve@cornwall

Guest BrainFluid

I cant make out if you have tried this or not If you have sorry, if you havent....

Get someone to push hard down on the bonnet while you pull the cable as hard as you can for wherever you can.

Then while your pulling start to pulse the pull and get the person pushing the bonnet to also vary it by pulsing.

After you get it open ity sounds like you need to twist the plunger on the bonnet that goes into the slam panel, I dunno if you will want to turn it out or in though.

Paintguy

If the above suggestion doesn't work, try moving the boneet from side to side as you try and open it.

With a helper pulling the release lever, raise the drivers side front corner of the bonnet (not too much, or you could twist it), then push it over towards the passenger side as you try and lift. If that fails, try it the other way. You may not have the catch exactly central, and this may help.

timmsy19

Cheers guys i will get out there today and see how far i get without braking anything. hopfully it wont come to that.

If i do end up braking the grill off all the more reason to get a 3 bar on the group buy ;):)

Edited by timmsy19

max0

is there a way to align the catch on the slam pannel so this doesnt happen, as its got a lot of scope for been in different places.

Andy

Guest BrainFluid

I'ld of thought it would be moe a case of adusting the hinge sit of the bonnet. The bonnets 'plunger' can be turned to alter how far it sticks out.

If the plunger is set to low an you have to force the bonnet to close it, it sits too close to the catch witch can make the bonet hard to open because of the upward force on the catch , if you see what I mean.

Of course the plunger is often rusted up and can be very difficult to turn!

Paintguy
is there a way to align the catch on the slam pannel so this doesnt happen, as its got a lot of scope for been in different places.

Andy

Leave the catch bolts loose, then slowly lower the bonnet onto it. The striker ('plunger') should touch it square on and centrally. It may well move the catch to the desired position by itself, but if not move it yourself. When you're happy it's going to hit fair and square, tighten up the bolts, then lower the boneet again slowly at first, to make sure it hasn't moved.

Don't let the bonnet close fully whilst the cach bolts are loose though! And maybe remove the grille, so you have better access if the worst happens.

timmsy19

well never got around to sorting it out due to the bad weather. will try all of these and see how i get on. really need to open it so will have to do it after work today whatever the weather

Sign in to follow this