• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mbayley77

306 Speedo Into 205

mbayley77

I have totally had it of the speedo in my 205 wobbling all over the place.

I have a speedo from a 306 which is electronic driven but not the milage counter.

What is involved in getting the 306 speedo into my 205? I have the sender unit from the box but is it as simple as having a live, earth and a signal wire?

cheers

Sandy

Try it?

littlemike

Have you tried a new genuine speedo cable? I changed mine and it's gone from a very wobbly needle to a rock solid one :):

mos

hi,

try replacing both the speedo cable and the plastic speedo gear at the top of the gearbox with genuine pug stuff.

it has never failed for me to cure this annoying fault on numerous 205gti's

the speedo gear is dead easy to replace with the gearbox in the car, it is located where the speedo cable mounts to the gearbox in a creamy white coloured housing which is held in place by one bolt and a plastic pin and on either a 1.9 or 1.6 gearbox the gear itself is usually red in colour.

quite often when i have replace this gear you can quite clearly see the wear on it

the parts will cost you around £20 or so.

must be easier than the electronic option

thanks

mark

mbayley77

I understand the ease of using a new drive and cable but just wandered as seen as i have the sender and the speedo for the electronic one in the garage i thought id make my life even more complicated ;)

Thats not to say that i am ungrateful to anyone who has offered there advise here as with the weather getting colder from now on in i may be resorting to the quickest and easiest :P

jochem

I have the complete electronic 306 dial set. I like it way more than the 205 set. Did take me a long time to sort out the wiring as none of it is wel documented.

If your milage counter isnt electronic driven, neither is your speedo AFAIK. Only the late 306 dials were completely electronic.

The sender is needed in 205 for the ECU signal.

mbayley77

There is no input for a cable to drive anything in the speedo unit or anywhere on the pod for that matter and the sender unit from the diff is purely 3 pin electronic.

Must be some sort of servo drive for the milage clock???

Do you have any wiring diagrams etc that may help me for the electronic set up?

jochem

I did write it all down, should have the papers somewhere...

I did leave some things unconnected, but maybe you can help me out a little in return :-)

I'll have a look later and get back to you.

Edited by jochem

mbayley77

cheers for the help looking.

Ill help any way i can. :)

Sign in to follow this